Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham—thinly sliced potatoes and chunks of ham enveloped in a creamy, cheesy sauce.
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
If you’re into creamy, cheesy velvety sauce with potatoes and cubes of flavorful ham you’re going to love this Instant Pot scalloped potatoes and ham dish. My family plus my parents who were in town all gave it 2 enthusiastic thumbs up. We scraped the pot clean, no leftovers 😢.
The method of making scalloped potatoes in the Instant Pot is a bit different than the “normal” method. You will peel and cut the potatoes as thin as you can and then use a steamer basket to steam the potatoes for just 1 minute. Because they are cut so thin they really don’t need a lot of time under pressure. Remember pressure cooking is determined by how long it takes to cook the food to the center. So if you have big thick potato slices it will take longer to cook to the center. I like to use my Salad Master to slice the potatoes (my sister found one on ebay for a good deal, if you’re looking).
While the potatoes are coming to pressure and cooking you can chop up your ham and shred your cheese. Once the potatoes are cooked you create a creamy sauce with butter, flour, milk and cheese using the sauté setting. The ham and potatoes are tossed into the sauce and then dinner is ready to serve. My mom couldn’t believe how fast this dinner came together. I may have talked her into buying my favorite steamer basket*.
More Instant Pot Recipes that use Ham…
Today’s recipe is a perfect dinner for Easter or after Easter if you have leftover ham. Here are more recipes that you can make with leftover ham.
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Thinly sliced potatoes and chunks of ham enveloped in a creamy, cheesy sauce.
Equipment needed: steamer basket
- 2 pounds peeled potatoes (Russets or red)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 2–3 cups cubed ham
- Slice the potatoes very thin. Place them in the steamer basket*. Pour 1 ½ cups water in bottom of Instant Pot. Place the steamer basket into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute (for paper thin, mandolin sliced potatoes or 2 minutes for cardboard thick cut potatoes). When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Remove the steamer basket and set aside. Dump out water and dry out bottom of Instant Pot.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting (MORE). Add in the butter and let it melt. Once it is melted whisk in the flour, a tablespoon at a time so that there is no lumps. Add in the salt, pepper, paprika and onion. Add in the milk and whisk until the sauce is thickened. Be careful not to burn.
- Turn the sauté setting to LESS. Stir in the cheese and ham. Once cheese is melted fold in the potatoes and coat well with the sauce.
- Turn off Instant Pot or turn it to warm setting. Scoop onto plates and enjoy. For a more baked, casserole type of dish pour everything into a 9×13 inch pan and bake for 20 minutes at 350. For even more texture sprinkle cornflake crumbs on top.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*
- Category: Ham
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.