Instant Pot Chicken Queso Lasagna—layers of lasagna noodles, seasoned chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, tomatoes and salsa con queso. A fun Mexican twist on traditional lasagna.
Instant Pot Chicken Queso Lasagna
I wasn’t sure how lasagna pasta noodles would be when cooked with queso and other Mexican-inspired ingredients but it was so good! Instead of using marinara sauce and Italian sausage like a traditional lasagna this recipe uses queso cheese sauce and shredded chicken. It’s got lots of flavor and, if you want, spice. You can also go for a more mild version (use mild queso and mild green chiles).
Start this Instant Pot chicken queso lasagna with frozen or fresh raw chicken and cook it up quickly in your Instant Pot. Alternately you can start with rotisserie chicken or cooked and shredded chicken and cut down on prep time.
This recipe uses the pot-in-pot method which allows you to cook dense, layered dishes like lasagna that don’t have much liquid in the Instant Pot without getting the burn message. This is a hefty amount of food so you’ll need a very tall pot-in-pot dish. I used a 3 quart Instant Pot liner inside of the 6 quart Instant Pot liner. Did you know you can purchase a 3 quart liner on Amazon for only $15?* I did and use it all the time for pot-in-pot cooking.
More Instant Pot Lasagna Inspired Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Layers of lasagna noodles, seasoned chicken, corn, black beans, peppers, tomatoes and salsa con queso. A fun Mexican twist on traditional lasagna.
- 1 ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 4 cups cooked, cubed chicken)
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 oven ready no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (15.25 oz) jar queso with salsa (see note)
- Tortilla chips
- If using cooked, cubed chicken go to step 2. If using raw chicken pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot and add the chicken. Lightly salt and pepper the chicken. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes (for fresh) or 15 minutes (for frozen). When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Place chicken on a cutting board and shred.
- Place chicken in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the taco seasoning, the green chiles and a quarter cup of the queso.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the black beans, red bell pepper and corn.
- You’ll need a tall pot-in-pot dish (I use a 3 quart Instant Pot liner* inside the 6 quart Instant Pot liner for pot-in-pot cooking. If you don’t have a large dish you may need to cut the recipe in half to fit). Layer 1/3 of the following ingredients in the pan 3 times: tomatoes, chicken, 2 of the noodles (broken in pieces to fit), black bean mixture and finally queso.
- Cover the pan with foil. Place the pan on top of a trivet/sling.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of water into Instant Pot liner. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes. Release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the pan out of the Instant Pot. Remove the foil. Use a spoon to dig deep for all the layers and scoop onto a plate. Top with crunched up tortilla chips and enjoy!
Salsa con queso is usually found in the same aisle as the tortilla chips. There are several different brands such as Old El Paso, Taco Bell, On The Border, Chi Chis, Tostitos, Pace and the store brand. If you don’t love spice then buy the mild version.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use an 8 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.