Easy Instant Pot Tortellini Lasagna—delicious flavors of lasagna with hardly any of the work. This recipe only has 6 ingredients. It is fast and easy and tastes so good! It will quickly become a family favorite.
Related: Get the SLOW COOKER tortellini lasagna recipe here
Easy Instant Pot Tortellini Lasagna
When Greg and I went shopping a couple weeks ago at Costco he plunked a double package of the refrigerated tortellini into our shopping cart. I wasn’t sad. I knew that I could use the tortellini to make my popular Tortellini, Spinach and Chicken Soup, many other 365 Days favorites or I could use it to create a new recipe. I ended up using both packages for new recipes. The first recipe didn’t turn out well enough to go on the blog but the second recipe (this one!) was so delicious!
This Instant Pot tortellini lasagna recipe takes the tasty flavors of lasagna and then deletes all those time-intensive layers. It speeds up the process of cooking by using the Instant Pot in addition to cutting down on hands-on prep time.
Because this fresh refrigerated tortellini is very tender and somewhat fragile I used a zero minute pressure cooking time. If you are confused by what that means then read this article on “what is a zero minute pressure cooking time?” Remember that even though the pot just barely comes to pressure and then turns off it is cooking the whole time the pot builds pressure (about 5-7 minutes) and the whole time it’s releasing pressure (5 minutes).
Some people have mentioned that their pots don’t have the option of going down to 0 minutes. The fix is easy. Just set your electric pressure cooker for the lowest time possible and then once the pot comes to pressure and starts counting down on the timer unplug the pot. Let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then release the pressure.
What if I want to use frozen tortellini? I haven’t tried this yet. However I would probably go with the 0 minute cooking time. The pot will take longer to come to pressure because of the temperature of the ingredients.
You’ll also like…
Instant Pot Lasagna Ravioli—a lot like this recipe except it uses frozen ravioli instead of tortellini.
Instant Pot Cheater Lasagna—a cheater recipe because it’s so easy to make but also because your family will “cheat” and eat it before dinner time.
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Easy Instant Pot Tortellini Lasagna I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
- 1 pound ground sausage (you can use plain sausage or Italian sausage)
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ pounds refrigerated tortellini (I got mine from Costco)
- 1 (24 oz) jar/can of favorite pasta sauce
- 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground sausage and break it up. Brown the sausage for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. (I ended up using a colander for this and then added sausage back into bottom of pot).
- Pour the water into the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot until it is clean. Pour the tortellini into the pot on top of the meat in an even layer. Pour the pasta sauce evenly over the top of the tortellini. Don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 0 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the three cheeses. Scoop onto serving plates and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.