Instant Pot Seasoned Shredded Chicken–if you love rotisserie-style chicken you need to make this chicken! The chicken is made in minutes in your Instant Pot and it’s super tender and moist. My husband said to me, “I think this is the best chicken you’ve ever made.”
Instant Pot Seasoned Shredded Chicken
Today is Day 1 of 31 Days of Instant Pot recipes! Hooray! Who’s excited? For day 1 of this project I really wanted to share a recipe that I use all the time and love. It’s for basic shredded chicken that’s somewhat seasoned. I make this recipe all the time in the slow cooker. It’s like rotisserie chicken that you can eat plain or you can use it in other recipes like Chicken Tetrazzini or Healthy Chicken Barley Soup.
One thing about this recipe is that I threw the chicken into the Instant Pot totally frozen. If you have defrosted chicken the cooking time would be the same but it will take a lot less time to heat up the pressure cooker. The cooking time on this recipe is only 30 minutes, however it took the pot about 25 minutes to heat up and then 10 minutes of releasing the pressure naturally. So the total time in the pot was about 65 minutes. So just FYI when you see all these Instant Pot recipes that say “cooks in 30 minutes” that may be somewhat true but it’s a little deceiving since you have to wait for the pressure to build and then the pressure to release.
We ended up eating this chicken just plain with baked potatoes and salad. And then the next day we had the chicken on top of a salad. I like to buy my boneless, skinless chicken thighs from Costco. They have them in the frozen section but I’ve noticed recently they also have them in the fresh section. They are usually less than $2 per pound.
What Instant Pot Did You Use?
For this pressure cooker shredded seasoned chicken I used this Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 quarts, so the same size as most slow cookers. It cost be around $80 on Amazon.
Send Me Free Recipes
If you’d like to see all the new recipes that I’m making sign up to receive my emails below! This is a free service and you can unsubscribe at any time.
If you love rotisserie-style chicken you need to make this chicken! It’s super tender and moist. My husband said to me, “I think this is the best chicken you’ve ever made.”
- 4-5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breasts (you can use all thighs or you can use a mix of thighs and breasts)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Put chicken in the Instant Pot. My chicken was 3 totally frozen blocks of chicken. Add in the water, bouillon, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, oregano and pepper.
- Secure the lid and turn the sealing vent to “sealed”.
- Press the manual button and adjust the time to 30 minutes (if frozen) and 25 minutes (if not frozen).
- Once the timer beeps let it sit for 10 minutes and then turn the valve from “sealing” to “quick pressure release.” Remove the lid and then remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred or cut the chicken.
- Eat as is or use in recipes that call for cooked chicken. Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator or in the freezer.
My pressure cooker took almost 25 minutes to come to pressure since the chicken was frozen solid. Then it took 30 minutes to cook. And then 10 more for the pressure to release naturally. So total time from start to finish was around 70 minutes.
I used a 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe.
Want the slow cooker version of this recipe? –>>It’s right here. <<–
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!