Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Sausage—potatoes, smoked sausage and corn enveloped in a cheddar and sour cream sauce. A perfect dinner or a side dish for a potluck.
Related: Make a similar dish in the slow cooker. Here is my Slow Cooker Cheesy Scalloped Potato Casserole recipe you’ll love.
Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Sausage
Have you heard of funeral potatoes before? Funeral potatoes are basically a perfect side dish to be served with ham. They are a baked casserole with hashbrowns, cream soup, cheese and sometimes a crunchy topping and they’re often served at funerals around here. I was inspired to create a dinner that had that funeral potato type of feel.
These Instant Pot cheesy potatoes and sausage have no cream of soups. And they are made super fast in your Instant Pot (only a 3 minute pressure cook time!). For extra flavor and fun I added in slices of smoked sausage and corn. My kids loved these potatoes and so did I! I added in some peas as well. I knew my kids wouldn’t appreciate the peas so I just added them into my individual serving.
What kind of potatoes should I use?
To make these luscious, cheesy potatoes I used plain old Russet potatoes. I washed them, peeled them (which is optional by the way) and then I used a good knife* to cube them. I believe that you could also have fantastic results by using yukon golds or red potatoes as well.
What should I serve with Instant Pot cheesy potatoes and sausage
I served the potatoes with a side of steamed broccoli. I also think a green salad would be great with these potatoes.
Did you know that you can use your Instant Pot to steam broccoli? This video demonstrates the method that I use:
I want to purchase a 3 quart Instant Pot* just so I can use it to steam broccoli and make a side of rice. Next time they’re on sale I am totally going to. Although my cabinet is quickly filling up with all the Instant Pots and slow cookers that I own!
More Instant Pot Potato Recipes…
If you love potatoes you’re going to love these other dishes that use potatoes as the base of the recipe.
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes and Sausage I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Potatoes, smoked sausage and corn enveloped in a cheddar and sour cream sauce. A perfect dinner or a side dish for a potluck.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (12 oz) package of precooked smoked sausage, sliced into thin quarter inch slices
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen corn
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch or instant potato flakes
- Pour chicken broth into bottom of Instant Pot. Then add in the potatoes, sausage, corn, salt, garlic powder, pepper and onion powder.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the sour cream and the cheddar.
- Then thicken the potatoes by adding in a cornstarch slurry or the potato flakes. To make a slurry mix equal parts cornstarch with cold water and stir until smooth. Stir the mixture into the Instant Pot and turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. It will thicken within a couple of minutes. You can also use potato flakes to thicken . Turn Instant Pot to saute and add in potato flakes a tablespoon at a time until potatoes reach your desired consistency.
- Scoop potatoes and sauce onto serving plates and enjoy.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.