Instant Pot Café Rio Chicken–this quickly cooked shredded chicken is perfect to serve with your Mexican dinners on salads, in burritos, in enchiladas or over rice.
Click here for the SLOW COOKER VERSION of this recipe
Instant Pot Café Rio Chicken
Today’s recipe for Instant Pot Café Rio Chicken goes along well with the Café Rio Cilantro Lime Rice I posted yesterday and the Café Rio Black Beans I posted a couple weeks ago. I guess I’m just a little obsessed with making Café Rio food at home! My favorite way to eat these recipes is to start with a large bed of romaine lettuce and then top with the rice, beans, tomatillo dressing, chicken and finally some tortilla chips. My favorite tortilla chips are called Juanita’s and they are super addicting! This is a great meal for anyone and can easily be made gluten free.
This Instant Pot Café Rio chicken is a super easy recipe because it literally only calls for 5 ingredients. I like to use a combination of chicken breasts and chicken thighs. The fat that is in the thighs balances out the dryness and lack of flavor that is typically associated with chicken breasts. You’ll need about 17 minutes of cooking time for the chicken to cook. Plus the pressure cooker will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure and then you’ll definitely want to let the pressure release naturally for at least another 5 minutes. So the total time in the pot is around 35 minutes.
More Café Rio Copycat Recipes
Instant Pot Café Rio Black Beans
Slow Cooker Café Rio Black Beans
Slow Cooker Café Rio Chicken Salad
Café Rio Tortilla Soup from Tried and Tasty
Café Rio Sweet Pork Quesadilla from Oh Sweet Basil
What Instant Pot/Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this Instant Pot Instant Pot Café Rio Chicken recipe I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Click here for the SLOW COOKER VERSION of this recipePrint
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen is okay)
- 2 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat (frozen is okay)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Add the Italian dressing and the chicken broth to the pot. Add in the rest of the ingredients. Cover the pot and turn the valve to “sealing.” Push manual and adjust the time to 17 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker beeps let the pressure release naturally for 5 minutes and then remove the lid.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred and then add the chicken back into juices inside the Instant Pot. Stir and then serve the chicken. You may need to salt and pepper to taste.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe an 8 quart would also work. If you want to use a 3 quart mini then you’ll need to cut the recipe in half or quarter the recipe.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.