Slow Cooker Thick and Creamy White Chicken Chili–an indulgent white chili recipe with green chiles, onion, chicken breasts, and white beans. Win your next chili cook-off with this recipe.
Get the INSTANT POT version of this recipe
Slow Cooker Thick and Creamy White Chicken Chili
I have 6 sisters. Sometimes my mom and sisters get texting and a lot of the time it’s about food. Food we are trying and food we like. Food food food. Someone mentioned they made a white chicken chili recipe for a work party and won the chili cookoff. I, of course, asked which recipe she had used and she pointed me to a white chicken chili recipe that’s made on the stove top with rotisserie chicken. She asked me if I could convert it into a slow cooker recipe. Could I? Could I? Well if anyone could, it’s me. Not trying to brag but it’s true. It’s kind of my thing…figuring out how to make regular recipes into slow cooker recipes. The recipe below is the results of my experiment. The original recipe included 1 1/2 cups of cheese in the soup but I felt that was a little overkill. It’s fine with just a little cheese sprinkled on top. I also felt that it was lacking acidity and something needed to bite through the creaminess. That’s why I added the lime juice. I think you’ll love this recipe. It’s not something I would make every day because it’s quite indulgent–butter and sour cream and cheese. But it’s seriously so good.
More slow cooker chili recipes
Slow Cooker Pepperoni Pizza Chili–your kids favorite food in chili form!
Creamy and Skinny Taco Chili Soup–stick to your diet and have a little comfort in a bowl.
Green Chicken Chili with Avocados–I love the flavor of this chili thanks to the sweet and tart tomatillos.
Healthy Ground Turkey Lentil Chili–this is one that I make often…healthy and filling.
Broth-based White Chicken Chili–this is a white chicken chili that is broth based but still full of flavor.
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this Slow Cooker Thick and Creamy White Chicken Chili I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker. I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (14 oz) cans white beans, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 1/2 tsp tabasco sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey jack cheese, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Combine onion, chicken, beans, broth, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, green chiles and tabasco sauce in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board. Let it rest.
- Start melting butter in a large pan on the stove over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in flour, a tablespoon at a time. Add in the milk, about a half cup at a time, and whisk. The mixture will become thick and creamy. Add the mixture to the slow cooker and stir.
- Shred the chicken and stir it back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in sour cream and juice from lime. Season to taste (I added in salt and pepper and more cumin).
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated cheese and cilantro.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Chili
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.