How to make Slow Cooker Creamy and Skinny Taco Chili Soup
As the turkey starts to brown, you’ll add in a tablespoon of tomato paste (flavor booster!) and some diced onions.
Need a warm bowl of comfort without the guilt? Try this creamy, satisfying taco chili soup for dinner this week. It tastes amazing and it’s a cinch to make. With the help of your slow cooker you’ll be all set.
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground chicken or ground beef
- 1 small yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black or kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can refried beans
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups water mixed with chicken bouillon
- Taco seasoning to taste (I used 1/4 cup of the McCormick’s stuff, but I would start with 2 Tbsp of seasoning and go from there…each brand or even homemade is different in potency)
- 2 cups frozen white sweet corn
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, shredded cheese and tortilla chips
- Start browning the turkey over medium high heat. Add in the diced onion and tomato paste. When turkey is browned and onions are softened, add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, green chiles, drained black beans, refried beans, broth and taco seasoning. Stir a bit.
- Cover and cook on LOW 4-6 hours. Stir in the corn and let it heat through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings.
For this recipe I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker. I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.
To make this recipe gluten free: Check your broth and taco seasoning to be sure it does not contain gluten.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4-6 hours on low
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
Other recipes you might like: