You know what’s crazy? When leftovers are actually better than the first night you ate the food. This totally happened with this soup. I enjoyed in the first night but the next 2 days for lunch were even better! With just a little dollop of sour cream this soup is lick the bowl good. All the Mexican flavors in this soup are my favorite. I know you’ll love this soup too!
- 2 lbs tomatillos (about 10 medium)
- 1 small white onion
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp minced canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (14.5 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- Toppings: avocado slices, cilantro, tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream
- Turn your oven on to broil. Husk the tomatillos and rinse thoroughly to remove sticky residue. Slice each tomatillo in half and place in a bowl.
- Dice the onion and place in the bowl. Add garlic, cumin, coriander, chipotles and canola oil to the bowl. Toss to coat veggies in oil.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spread tomatillo mixture on the pan. Place into oven, 6 inches from heating element. Cook for about 7 minutes. Stir a bit and then cook for 8 minutes more. The tomatillos will start getting blistered. Add the mixture to the slow cooker.
- Add in chicken broth, chicken, green chiles, beans and salt. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 4-6 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred or cut into small pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Add juice from the lime and salt and pepper to taste (I probably added in a 1/2 teaspoon).
- In a small bowl mix together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water until smooth. Add the mixture into the slow cooker. Stir. Turn to HIGH and let cook until soup thickens (about 10-15 minutes).
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with desired toppings (all of them is the best).
Ideal slow cooker size: 6 quart