- 1 medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (14 oz) cans white beans, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 1/2 tsp tabasco sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey jack cheese, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- Combine onion, chicken, beans, broth, chili powder, cumin, pepper, salt, green chiles and tabasco sauce in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place it on a cutting board. Let it rest.
- Start melting butter in a large pan on the stove over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, whisk in flour, a tablespoon at a time. Add in the milk, about a half cup at a time, and whisk. The mixture will become thick and creamy. Add the mixture to the slow cooker and stir.
- Shred the chicken and stir it back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in sour cream and juice from lime. Season to taste (I added in salt and pepper and more cumin).
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated cheese and cilantro.
I used my 6 quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Category: Chili
- Method: Slow Cooker