Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili–an indulgent white chili recipe with green chiles, onion, chicken breasts, and white beans (dried or canned). Win your next chili cook-off with this recipe.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of this recipe
Instant Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili
I have 6 sisters. Sometimes my mom and sisters get texting and a lot of the time it’s about food. Food we are trying and food we like. Food food food. Someone mentioned they made a white chicken chili recipe for a work party and won the chili cook-off. I, of course, asked which recipe she had used and she pointed me to a white chicken chili recipe that’s made on the stove top. I read through the recipe and knew that it would make a perfect candidate for an Instant Pot recipe.
I ended up using dried beans for this recipe but you can also use canned white beans. The original recipe included 1 1/2 cups of cheese in the soup but I felt that was a little overkill. It’s fine with just a little cheese sprinkled on top. I also felt that it was lacking acidity and something needed to bite through the creaminess. That’s why I added the lime juice. I think you’ll love this instant pot creamy white chicken chili recipe. It’s not something I would make every day because it’s quite indulgent–butter and sour cream and cheese. But it’s seriously so good.
More Instant Pot recipes you’ll love
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make instant pot creamy white chicken chili I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Send Me Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
An indulgent white chili recipe with green chiles, onion, chicken breasts, and white beans (dried or canned). Win your next chili cook-off with this recipe.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs (or a combination of the two) I used completely frozen chicken breasts and it worked perfectly
- 2 (14 oz) cans white beans, drained OR 2 cups dried white beans
- 2 cups chicken broth (if using canned beans) OR 4 cups chicken broth (if using dried beans)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 (4 oz) cans chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- Optional: 1/2 cup grated Monterey jack cheese, for serving
- Optional: cilantro, for garnish
- If using dried beans soak them overnight in water and 1 tsp of salt or perform the quick soak method. You can do this by placing the beans in the Instant Pot and covering with water and sprinkling in 1 tsp of salt. Bring the water to a boil using the saute setting (lid off). Once the water boils turn off the saute setting and put the lid on the pot. Make sure valve is on sealing. Set the manual or pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When the 2 minutes is up perform a quick release. Use a colander to drain the beans and rinse them off. You can now use your “soaked” beans.
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the olive oil. Add in the onions. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Turn off the saute setting.
- Add in the chicken, canned beans or soaked dried beans, chicken broth (2 cups for canned beans and 4 cups for dried beans), chili powder, cumin, pepper, 2 tsp salt and green chiles. Stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual button or pressure cook button to 20 minutes.
- When the timer beeps indicating the 20 minutes is up, let the pot sit there for another 10-15 minutes. Then move the valve to venting and release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred it and return it to the pot.
- Melt the butter and use a whisk to stir the flour into the butter until it’s creamy and smooth. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute function and stir in the butter flour mixture. Let the flour mixture thicken the soup. Stir every minute or so. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, sour cream and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Monterey jack cheese and cilantro. Enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chili
- Method: Instant Pot
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe (no cheese)
- Calories: 604
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 276 mg
- Fat: 31 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Protein: 43 g
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.