Slow Cooker Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes: a traditional holiday side dish made in your slow cooker to free up oven and stovetop space for all the other food that you’ll be making!
Slow Cooker Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes
Thanksgiving is just days away! It’s my favorite holiday with all the delicious side dishes, pies, turkey and family. I seriously just love it so so so much. One of my very favorite things is the sweet potatoes. I think I love them so much because this is really the only day of the year that I get to eat sweet potatoes (already sweet) with brown sugar (sweeter) and marshmallows on top (sweetest)! And it’s okay. And I don’t feel guilty. And they are truly delicious.
If you’re looking for ways to free up some oven space for Thanksgiving the slow cooker is the perfect appliance to use. And sweet potatoes cook so very nicely in the slow cooker. Slow Cooker Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes get perfectly tender and when they are cooked and you’re waiting on everything else you can just switch the slow cooker to warm until it’s time to eat.
But how do you get the marshmallows toasted on top of the sweet potatoes? No biggie! If you’re using the casserole crock you can just stick the crock into the oven with the broiler on for a couple of minutes. If you’re using a large oval or round slow cooker you just transfer the sweet potatoes to a casserole dish and top with the marshmallows and stick it in the oven under the broiler.
Slow Cooker Thanksgiving Recipes
Looking for other ways to use slow cookers for the holidays? You’re going to love all these other Thanksgiving recipes made in your slow cooker.
3 ingredient slow cooker turkey breast and gravy–you’ll just need turkey, dry onion soup mix and butter to make this easy slow cooker turkey breast.
Bone-in slow cooker perfectly seasoned turkey breast–If you have a slow cooker large enough you can fit in a turkey breast that has the bones in it. This recipe is full of flavor and perfectly seasoned.
Perfect crockpot turkey breast–you’ll just need a turkey breast, onion powder, garlic powder, chicken bouillon and soy sauce for this turkey recipe!
Slow Cooker Holiday Mashed Potatoes with Bacon, Parmesan, Ricotta and Thyme–If you’re in charge of making the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving/Christmas you’ll want to save this recipe! For ultimate ease and as a stove-top space saver these potatoes are made in the slow cooker. They’re totally flavorful thanks to the Parmesan cheese, bacon and fresh thyme. These potatoes are an extra special touch to your holiday dinner.
Slow Cooker Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes–these are the potatoes that I make all the time. We love them!
Orange Glazed Carrots in the Crockpot–I’ll be bringing these easy peasy cooked carrots to Thanksgiving dinner!
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole–this in another dish that you really only get once or twice a year! Yum!
Crockpot Cream Corn with Bacon–turn up the corn a notch by adding bacon! Seriously do it.
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For these Slow Cooker Marshmallow Sweet Potatoes I went with my 3-quart casserole crock made by the Crock-Pot brand. I have loved this casserole shaped crockpot for recipes just like this. I love that the crock insert is completely oven and dishwasher safe. I love how if you want to brown the top of a casserole you can do that quickly in the oven after it cooks all day in the slow cooker. Or if you want to bake something in the oven and then put it into the crockpot and keep it warm on the counter, you can do that too. They cost around $40 and I think totally worth the investment!
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up here. I usually send out 1-2 new recipes per week. And you can unsubscribe at any time. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
A traditional holiday side dish made in your slow cooker to free up oven and stovetop space for all the other food that you’ll be making!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarter inch slices
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2–3 cups mini marshmallows
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in the bottom of a greased slow cooker. You’ll want to use a large slow cooker for this recipe. I used my casserole crock slow cooker because I like the shape of it for recipes like these.
- Sprinkle the sweet potatoes with brown sugar, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut the butter into 20 small pieces and place evenly on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours (each slow cooker cooks differently, my slow cooker cooked them in exactly 3 hours), or you can cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. Test the sweet potatoes for doneness. Keep the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker on the WARM setting until you’re ready to serve. When ready to eat, go to the next step.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to an oven safe dish. Top the sweet potatoes with the marshmallows and put under the broiler in your oven for 2-3 minutes until marshmallows are brown and puffy. WATCH the oven closely so that the marshmallows don’t burn.
- Serve the sweet potatoes immediately and enjoy!
*If you’re feeding a crowd, you’ll want to double this recipe! If you double the recipe, the cooking time will need about an extra hour.