One thing that really turns out well in the slow cooker is mashed potatoes! I’ve made rosemary mashed potatoes, mashed red potatoes with skin and buttermilk garlic mashed potatoes. They have all turned out really well so I felt it was time for a new version. These slow cooker holiday mashed potatoes are special and perfect for Thanksgiving or Christmas. They are loaded up with bits of crunchy bacon and Parmesan cheese. Ricotta cheese is added for an extra creamy and rich taste and fresh thyme gives a subtle but delicious flavor. Bottom line…everyone at your holiday dinner will love these potatoes and be amazed that they were made in the slow cooker!
|These potatoes are pictured in my casserole crock...best new crockpot ever! I love the shape and the look of it!|
Slow Cooker Holiday Mashed Potatoes with Bacon, Parmesan, Ricotta and Thyme
- Cook Time: 4-6 hours on low
- Total Time: 46 minute
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
If you’re in charge of making the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving/Christmas you’ll want to save this recipe! For ultimate ease and as a stove-top space saver these potatoes are made in the slow cooker. They’re totally flavorful thanks to the Parmesan cheese, bacon and fresh thyme. These potatoes are an extra special touch to your holiday dinner.
- 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled or not peeled–you choose
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream, half and half or milk, plus more if needed
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 5 strips of crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the potatoes into quarters. Place in the slow cooker.
- Pour water over potatoes and stir in salt, bay leaf and garlic.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the water and discard the bay leaf.
- Stir in the butter, cream and ricotta cheese; mash the potatoes by hand or with a hand mixer.
- Pick off the leaves of the 5 sprigs of time and stir into the potatoes. Stir in Parmesan cheese, bacon and salt and pepper to taste. Add more cream/milk, if needed.
- Turn slow cooker to warm until the potatoes are ready to serve (stays good on the warm setting for up to 2 hours).
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-5 quart
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Slow Cooker
Darla Robinson says
Is there an Instant Pot version?
I don’t have one written up but it would be easy enough. Here’s how I’d do it:
2 lbs red potatoes, peeled or not peeled–you choose
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup heavy cream, half and half or milk, plus more if needed
1/3 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
5 strips of crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
5 sprigs of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut potatoes into cubes. Add potatoes and water, salt, bay leaf and garlic into Instant Pot.
2. Cover and secure lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. Do a quick release. Remove lid. Drain off any excess water. Discard the bay leaf.
3. Mash the potatoes. Add in the butter, cream, ricotta, parmesan, bacon. Stir in well. Add in the thyme. Salt and pepper to taste.
Darla Robinson says
Kim Ishmael says
When do you add the bacon?
When you add in the parmesan. Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed the recipe.