A traditional holiday side dish made in your slow cooker to free up oven and stovetop space for all the other food that you’ll be making!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into quarter inch slices
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2–3 cups mini marshmallows
- Place sliced sweet potatoes in the bottom of a greased slow cooker. You’ll want to use a large slow cooker for this recipe. I used my casserole crock slow cooker because I like the shape of it for recipes like these.
- Sprinkle the sweet potatoes with brown sugar, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon. Cut the butter into 20 small pieces and place evenly on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 3 hours (each slow cooker cooks differently, my slow cooker cooked them in exactly 3 hours), or you can cook on LOW for 5-6 hours. Test the sweet potatoes for doneness. Keep the sweet potatoes in the slow cooker on the WARM setting until you’re ready to serve. When ready to eat, go to the next step.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to an oven safe dish. Top the sweet potatoes with the marshmallows and put under the broiler in your oven for 2-3 minutes until marshmallows are brown and puffy. WATCH the oven closely so that the marshmallows don’t burn.
- Serve the sweet potatoes immediately and enjoy!
*If you’re feeding a crowd, you’ll want to double this recipe! If you double the recipe, the cooking time will need about an extra hour.