Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken—chunks of chicken smothered in a flavorful cream cheese and tomato sauce and then served over noodles, potatoes or rice.
Get the INSTANT POT Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken recipe here
Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken
Talk about comfort food! The flavor of the sauce was so delicious. I am a big fan of tomatoes and I am a big fan of cream cheese so the two of them together was a match made in heaven. I loved using chicken thighs for this recipe. The reason? They stay so moist and tender and have so much flavor. After they are slow cooked they break apart really easily with a fork. I know many of you will want to use chicken breasts and that is okay. They won’t be as tender and succulent.
This recipe might be a fit for your low carb diet. The two ingredients that have carbs are the tomatoes and cornstarch. You can easily leave out the cornstarch and thicken with a keto-friendly thickener. As far as the tomatoes go, I wouldn’t leave them out because I am a huge fan and they add to the taste of the entire dish. However, if you must, you can leave them out and have a creamy white sauce with chicken.
My first time trying cauliflower rice! I bought a package of riced cauliflower in the frozen veggies section of my grocery store. I chose to steam the cauliflower in its bag in the microwave. All I did was stick the bag in the microwave for 4 minutes. Then I let the bag sit for 1 additional minute. The “rice” was steamed perfectly. The entire bag is only 100 calories and a GREAT choice for someone who is trying to eat a low-carb diet, cut calories or include more veggies in their diet. I will definitely be using riced cauliflower again. The taste is definitely not the same as rice but the texture is good and the taste is good in its own way.
More Creamy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing the onions before slow cooking the chicken.
Chunks of chicken smothered in a flavorful cream cheese and tomato sauce and then served over noodles, potatoes or rice.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) brick of cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups coarsely chopped, loosely packed spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a pan over medium high heat on your stove and melt the butter. Add in the onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Add the contents of the pan into the slow cooker. Stir in the chicken broth. Nestle the chicken into the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and basil. Dump the tomatoes on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Then remove the lid and dump in the cream cheese. In a small bowl stir together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch and 3 Tbsp of water until smooth. Stir this mixture into the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for another 30-60 minutes.
- Remove the lid and stir, break up the chicken. Add in the spinach and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over mashed potatoes, rice, cauliflower rice or noodles.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.