Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings–a creamy chicken soup with dumplings and mixed vegetables. Make this classic dish easily in your slow cooker!
Get the INSTANT POT chicken and dumplings recipe here
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Believe it or not I don’t ever remember eating or making chicken and dumplings in my life. It’s sad that I’ve wasted so much time. I could have been enjoying this wonderful creation all these years…If you’re like me, don’t waste anymore time. Try these slow cooker chicken and dumplings this week!
Chicken and dumplings is basically a creamy chicken and vegetable soup with some boiled biscuit dough balls. It’s comfort food at its finest.
Use your slow cooker to simmer the chicken, broth, veggies and seasonings then add in the dumpling dough and let it cook for a few more minutes. If you have a multi-cooker you can turn up the heat to accelerate that process. That’s why I like my Ninja slow cooker*. It has a stove top setting. You could also use your Instant Pot for this recipe on the slow cooker setting. Use the highest setting on the slow cooker function.
More slow cooker recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.Print
A creamy chicken soup with dumplings and mixed vegetables. Make this classic dish easily in your slow cooker!
For the soup:
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast (frozen is okay)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
For the dumplings:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp very soft or melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Add ingredients: Add broth, butter, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, parsley, basil, pepper, veggies and chicken.
- Slow cook: Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours (for thawed chicken) or 8 hours (for frozen chicken). Remove the lid.
- Cut up chicken: Use tongs to get the chicken out. Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces or shred it and add it back into the slow cooker.
- Add in slurry: Warm up the 3 cups of milk. I usually do this in the microwave for a minute or two. In a bowl whisk the 1 cup of flour into the milk, a tablespoon at a time. It should be smooth, no lumps.
- Thicken the soup: Turn the slow cooker to HIGH. Stir in the milk/flour mixture. Whisk it in.
- Make the dumplings: Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, melted butter and 1 cup milk in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to combine well.
- Cook the dumplings: Drop the dumplings mixture a tablespoon at a time into the pot. I used a 1 Tbsp cookie scooper to drop the dumplings into the pot. The simmering liquid will cook the dumplings. Cover the pot. The simmering liquid will cook thicken and soup and the dumplings in about 30 minutes (if you’re using a multi-cooker use the stove top/saute setting to speed up this process).
- Serve: Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.