Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe–tender bites of chicken in a tomato sauce with creamy coconut milk. We like to serve this with rice or naan bread. The sauce is so good I could drink it.
Get the recipe for INSTANT POT chicken tikka masala here
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
My family and I loved the Instant Pot butter chicken so much that we decided to make it’s twin sister, tikka masala. This version of tikka masala is very saucy and the base is tomato. It’s seasoned with garam masala, a blend of Indian spices. My favorite thing is the addition of coconut milk which gives the sauce a bit of creaminess. When you serve this slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe with naan bread it sort of reminds me of an Indian version of pizza.
Some notes about the ingredients:
Garam Masala–it’s not always at every grocery store. I found mine at Smith’s (Kroger) in the spice aisle and it was the McCormick Gourmet* brand.
Chicken–I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. I like this choice best but you can also use chicken breasts. You can use bone-in chicken as well, although I would increase the cooking time to 6 hours on low and I would remove the skin so it doesn’t get all soggy.
Coconut Milk–I used full fat coconut milk because that’s how I roll. You can also use heavy cream.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make this slow cooker Chicken Tikka Masala recipe I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
Tender bites of chicken in a tomato sauce with creamy coconut milk. We like to serve this with rice or naan bread. The sauce is so good I could drink it.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable, canola or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated or minced
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro
- Naan bread or rice, to serve
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add in the oil and onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 more seconds. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomato paste, ginger, 1 Tbsp of garam masala, paprika, salt, tapioca, chicken and crushed tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Stir in the coconut milk and 1 Tbsp of garam masala.
- Serve sauce and chicken with rice or naan bread and sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 521
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 915 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Protein: 36 g
Send Me Free Recipes
Love this slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.