Instant Pot Pepper Noodles–thin spaghetti is tossed with tamari, pepper, ground sausage and shredded cabbage for an easy one pot meal with a lot of flare. To give it some extra kick drizzle sriracha on top of the noodles.
Instant Pot Pepper Noodles
We’ve been making variations of this dish for many years now. My husband absolutely loves it! The inspiration from my Instant Pot Pepper Noodles comes from Rachael Ray’s Tingly Szechuan Pepper Beef Noodles. I loved figuring out how to make this dish all in one pot, the Instant Pot. I was nervous on how the noodles would turn out but it worked perfectly. No more will I bring the water to boil on the stove for the pasta while I brown the meat in another pan. One pot meals are the best!
Some recipes notes:
Is it spicy? Yes, it can be. If you’re adverse to spiciness then for sure don’t drizzle sriracha on your noodles! And if you want to make them bland enough for young children then you can cut the amount of black pepper in half and leave out the jalapeno.
Cabbage: I love using an entire head of cabbage in this recipe. It gives the meal a little crunch. You’ll probably think an entire head of cabbage is too much but once you add it in, it shrinks down a lot.
Chinese 5 Spice Powder*: You can find this next to all the other spices at the grocery store. It’s just a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and szechuan peppercorns.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Pepper Noodles I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Thin spaghetti is tossed with tamari, pepper, ground sausage and shredded cabbage for an easy one pot meal with a lot of flare. To give it some extra kick drizzle sriracha on top of the noodles.
- 1 lb ground sausage (you can use pork or chicken sausage)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds and pith removed, minced
- 1 (1 inch) piece of ginger, minced
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 (16 oz) package thin whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- 1 head of cabbage, shredded
- Sriracha, for serving (optional)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting (more). When the display says HOT add in the ground sausage. Break it up with a wooden spoon and brown it for about 3 minutes. Add in the onion and saute it with the meat for about 3 more minutes. Add in garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Don’t drain off excess grease.
- Stir in jalapeno, ginger, pepper and Chinese 5 spice. Pour in the water.
- Break the noodles in half and spread them evenly on top of the water. Press them down to submerge (as much as possible).
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is on sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When the timer beeps after the 2 minutes is up perform a quick release by moving the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid and stir the contents of the pot. Stir in the tamari to coat the noodles. Remove the inner pot from the Instant Pot base. Toss the cabbage in and stir.
- Use tongs to serve the noodles. If you like extra heat you can drizzle with sriracha. Enjoy!
This can get a little spicy with the jalapeno, 2 full teaspoons of pepper and the sriracha. If you want to make it bland enough for young children leave out the jalapeno and cut the pepper in half. And obviously don’t drizzle their plates with sriracha.
To make gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles (decrease cooking time by 1 minute) and be sure to use the Tamari sauce as opposed to the soy sauce.
I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles. If you’re using white noodles they will probably only need a 1 minute pressure cook time.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Calories: 387
- Sugar: 6
- Sodium: 767
- Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 49
- Protein: 20
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Pepper Noodles? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.