Slow Cooker Creamy Tuscan Chicken–creamy chicken and sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, Parmesan cheese and garlic.
Get the INSTANT POT Tuscan chicken recipe here
Slow Cooker Creamy Tuscan Chicken
This recipe is so super tasty. Lots of creamy sauce and tender bites of chicken. Plus lots of flavor from the sun-dried tomatoes and cream cheese. The bonus is that this recipe can be made gluten free and low carb too.
A few notes about the ingredients:
Chicken: I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and cut off the excess fat with my kitchen shears. Chicken thighs stay tender and moist. I like to buy mine in a big bag at Costco. Chicken breasts can also be used in this recipe. Just note the cooking time difference in the recipe card.
Sun-dried tomatoes: I like the flavor and texture of jarred sun-dried tomatoes for this recipe. I have used the dehydrated tomatoes but they don’t taste very good and the texture is off. Usually I can find the sun-dried tomatoes in the produce area of the grocery store.
Spinach: Fresh or frozen spinach will work for this recipe. Spinach gives the recipe a pop of color. Just stir in the amount that you want. I like a lot of spinach but you can also just throw in a couple handfuls. If using frozen spinach thaw the spinach first by running it under hot water.
Garlic: I mince my own garlic with a garlic press* but you can also use the jarred minced garlic.
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Creamy Tuscan Chicken I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.
Creamy chicken and sauce with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, Parmesan cheese and garlic.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup half and half, warmed
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 oz) jar sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 3 oz coarsely chopped spinach
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the oil. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20-30 seconds. Scrape the mixture into the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker and then nestle the chicken into the crock. Sprinkle on the Italian seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours for chicken breasts and 6-8 hours for chicken thighs.
- Remove the lid and turn the slow cooker to high. Add in the cream cheese. Stir warm half and half together with cornstarch until smooth in a small bowl. Then stir the mixture into the slow cooker. Stir in the parmesan cheese, tomatoes and spinach.
- Cover and cook on high for another 30 minutes, until sauce is thickened and cream cheese is melted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice, cauliflower rice, steamed vegetables, egg noodles or potatoes.
I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.*
This is gluten free. Just make sure to check your chicken broth label.
This recipe can be low carb. Use heavy cream instead of half and half and omit the cornstarch. To cut carbs even more leave out the tomatoes. Serve over cauliflower rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mintues
- Cook Time: 6 hours on low
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.