A creamy chicken soup with dumplings and mixed vegetables. Make this classic dish easily in your slow cooker!
For the soup:
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
- 2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast (frozen is okay)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
For the dumplings:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp very soft or melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Add ingredients: Add broth, butter, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, parsley, basil, pepper, veggies and chicken.
- Slow cook: Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours (for thawed chicken) or 8 hours (for frozen chicken). Remove the lid.
- Cut up chicken: Use tongs to get the chicken out. Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces or shred it and add it back into the slow cooker.
- Add in slurry: Warm up the 3 cups of milk. I usually do this in the microwave for a minute or two. In a bowl whisk the 1 cup of flour into the milk, a tablespoon at a time. It should be smooth, no lumps.
- Thicken the soup: Turn the slow cooker to HIGH. Stir in the milk/flour mixture. Whisk it in.
- Make the dumplings: Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, melted butter and 1 cup milk in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to combine well.
- Cook the dumplings: Drop the dumplings mixture a tablespoon at a time into the pot. I used a 1 Tbsp cookie scooper to drop the dumplings into the pot. The simmering liquid will cook the dumplings. Cover the pot. The simmering liquid will cook thicken and soup and the dumplings in about 30 minutes (if you’re using a multi-cooker use the stove top/saute setting to speed up this process).
- Serve: Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: American