Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings–a creamy chicken soup with dumplings and mixed vegetables. Make this classic dish quickly in your Instant Pot!
Get the SLOW COOKER chicken and dumplings recipe here
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Believe it or not I don’t ever remember eating or making chicken and dumplings in my life. It’s sad that I’ve wasted so much time. I could have been enjoying this wonderful creation all these years…If you’re like me, don’t waste anymore time. Try these Instant Pot chicken and dumplings this week!
Chicken and dumplings is basically a creamy chicken and vegetable soup with some boiled biscuit dough balls. It’s comfort food at its finest.
This recipe makes about 8 servings. You can easily halve this recipe. Just halve all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
More Instant Pot recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
For the soup:
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast (frozen is okay)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies
For the dumplings:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp very soft or melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- Add ingredients into Instant Pot: Add broth, butter, poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, parsley, basil, pepper and chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Pressure cook: Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for thawed chicken or 15 minutes for frozen chicken on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Cut up chicken: Use tongs to get the chicken out. Cut up the chicken into bite size pieces or shred it and add it back into the pot.
- Add in slurry: Warm up the 3 cups of milk. I usually do this in the microwave for a minute or two. In a bowl whisk the 1 cup of flour into the milk, a tablespoon at a time. It should be smooth, no lumps.
- Thicken the soup: Turn the Instant Pot to the saute mode and stir in the milk/flour mixture. Whisk it in. The soup will thicken in a few minutes.
- Make the dumplings: Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, melted butter and 1 cup milk in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to combine well.
- Cook the dumplings: Drop the dumplings mixture a tablespoon at a time into the pot. I used a 1 Tbsp cookie scooper to drop the dumplings into the pot. The simmering liquid will cook the dumplings in just a few minutes.
- Add in veggies: Once the soup has thickened add in the frozen veggies. The simmering liquid will cook the veggies in just a couple of minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Ladle the chicken and dumplings into bowls and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.