Mickey Mac’s Casserole–Instant Pot or Crockpot breakfast casserole with hashbrowns, eggs, cheese and sausage.
Mickey Mac’s Casserole
Breakfast for dinner is always a good idea at my house! We love serving up eggs, sausage and pancakes for dinner. Usually we don’t eat big breakfasts in the morning time so it’s fun to have traditional breakfast foods at a different, more convenient time of day.
Today’s recipe comes from our friend, Mckay. He’s been friends with my daughter since 4th grade and is a fun and entertaining addition to our household when he comes over. We’ve affectionately nicknamed him Mickey Mac. Mckay is leaving on a church mission to Bogota, Colombia for the next two years and we are going to miss him so much! He told me about a casserole he loves that his mom makes for him. I, of course, immediately acquired the recipe and turned it into a crockpot or Instant Pot recipe (the original recipe is made in the oven after being refrigerated overnight). It was delicious and I think you’ll love it too!
- Frozen hashbrowns–or frozen cubed potatoes. If your hashbrowns are thawed you can cut a half hour off of the cooking time.
- Ground sausage–you can also slice up cooked sausage links or patties. We had leftovers in the fridge so this is what I did.
- Shredded cheddar cheese–or another shredded cheese you like
- Heavy cream
- Garlic powder
- Salsa–optional topping
Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot or Crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
Spread hashbrowns on the bottom.
Spread the sausage on top of the hashbrowns.
Sprinkle the cheddar on top of the sausage.
In a bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Pour the mixture evenly over the top of the cheddar.
Cover the Instant Pot or Crockpot and cook on the slow cooker HIGH setting for 2 hours.
Slice and serve topped with salsa.
- Serve with fresh fruit like strawberries or blueberries.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in an 8 quart pot or a 3-6 quart crockpot.
- If you’d like to make this in the oven you can. Here are the directions: layer the hashbrowns, sausage, cheese and egg mixture in a baking dish. Cover with foil and put in the fridge overnight. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes with cover and uncover and bake for 20 more minutes.
- This recipe is gluten-free.
- If you’d like to make this recipe low carb use rice cauliflower in the place of hashbrowns.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Other recipes you can make with hashbrowns are Instant Pot Cheesy Hamburger Hashbrown Soup and Instant Pot Garth Brooks’ Breakfast Bowl.
More Instant Pot Breakfast Ideas…
Instant Pot Breakfast Strata
This easy Instant Pot Breakfast Strata has only 8 ingredients and it tastes good for breakfast or dinner!
Instant Pot Breakfast Enchiladas
Breakfast enchiladas with sausage gravy, scrambled eggs and shredded cheese that your Instant Pot will help you prep.
Instant Pot Breakfast Mac and Cheese
Mac and cheese with sausage, bell peppers and hot sauce…and the best part is the topping of crispy hashbrowns.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
- 15 ounces frozen hashbrowns (half of a bag)
- 8 ounces ground sausage, browned and drained (you can also slice up cooked sausage links or patties)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salsa, for serving
- Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot or Crockpot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread hashbrowns on the bottom. Spread the sausage on top of the hashbrowns. Sprinkle the cheddar on top of the sausage.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour the mixture evenly over the top of the cheddar.
- Cover the Instant Pot or Crockpot and cook on the slow cooker HIGH setting for 2 hours.
- Slice and serve topped with salsa.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.