Instant Pot Breakfast Mac and Cheese–don’t knock it until you try it! Mac and cheese with sausage, bell peppers and hot sauce…and the best part is the topping of crispy hashbrowns.
Instant Pot Breakfast Mac and Cheese
I was skeptical about this breakfast mac and cheese but it turned out to be a winner. The crispy cheesy hashbrowns on top were an amazing crust that I wanted to pick off and devour.
- Eat this for breakfast or dinner! We ate it for dinner and it was a hit.
- Instead of elbow macaroni try using another pasta like rotini or small shells.
- For best results, shred cheese off the block instead of buying pre-shredded cheese. It will melt better that way.
- Try using salsa in the place of hot sauce. Both are delicious!
- If you don’t have an air fryer lid you can cook the hashbrowns separately on the stove and sprinkle on top.
- For more recipes that use Instant Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer try Instant Pot Million Dollar Casserole and Instant Pot Chicken Olivia
More Recipes You’ll Love…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
Mac and cheese with sausage, bell peppers and hot sauce…and the best part is the topping of crispy hashbrowns.
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz macaroni noodles
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 cups frozen hashbrowns
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the sausage and break it up. Brown for about 5 minutes. Pour in water and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the macaroni in an even layer on top of the meat and water. Place butter on top.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and release pressure. If it starts spewing/foaming move the valve back to sealing for 20 seconds and try again. Remove lid.
- Stir well. Stir in the milk, 2 cups of cheddar, bell pepper and hot sauce.
- Sprinkle the hashbrowns on top. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on hashbrowns. Place the air fryer lid on top and set it to 400° F for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top and air fry for 1 more minute, or until cheese is melted.
- Scoop up and serve.
I used my 6 Quart Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Multi-Use Pressure Cooker and Air Fryer*
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.