Instant Pot Tourtière–a meat pie made with ground beef, ground pork, spices and potatoes. Use the Instant Pot to help prepare the pie faster.
Instant Pot Tourtière
Each week in 2020 I featured a recipe inspired by one of the states in the U.S. Now that I’ve covered all the states and there are still a couple weeks left in the year I decided to share a recipe from our friendly Canadian neighbors to the north. I chose something called tourtière.
According to Wikipedia, “Tourtière is a Canadian meat pie dish originating from the province of Quebec, usually made with minced pork, veal or beef and potatoes. Wild game is sometimes used. A traditional part of the Christmas réveillon and New Year’s Eve meal in Quebec, it is also popular in New Brunswick, and is sold in grocery stores across the rest of Canada, all year long.”
“There are as many recipes for tourtière as there are cooks in Quebec.”A French Baker
My version of tourtière uses the Instant Pot to quickly steam the potatoes and then brown up the ground pork and ground beef. I love using my steamer basket* in the Instant Pot. If you don’t have a steamer basket you can just place the potatoes straight in the water in the bottom of the pot. They might come out a little grainy but they’ll still be okay!
From what I understand you can use a variety of different meats in tourtière. I chose to use what I could easily find…ground pork and ground beef. Other choices might be ground veal or wild game.
I was unsure of how the spices used would taste in the meat pie…cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg seemed more like something I’d use in pumpkin cookies rather than a savory meat dish. However Greg and I both loved how the meat tasted! It was a win at my house. Not something we’d normally eat but it was fun to try something new and different.
More “pie” recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
- 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tsp onion powder or 1 cup diced onions
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 unbaked pie crusts, rolled into 12 inch diameter (I used these, but you can make homemade if you prefer)
- Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Add potatoes to a steamer basket and lower them into the Instant Pot. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up perform a quick release.
- Remove the steamer basket and set aside. Reserve ½ cup of the potato water. Discard the rest and wipe out the bottom of the pot.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute (more) setting. When display says HOT add in the pork, beef and onions (if using). Break up the meat and brown for about 10 minutes. Drain off any excess grease.
- Stir in the onion powder, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour the potatoes into a bowl and mash. Then stir the the mashed potatoes and reserved potato water into the meat. When water is mostly absorbed turn off the Instant Pot.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Place one of the pie crusts into bottom of a pie tin. Add in the meat filling. Whisk the egg well and use a pastry brush to brush the egg wash over the outer edge of the pastry.
- Place the other pastry on top of the filling. Fold the top crust under the bottom crust and pinch or flute the edges. Brush the top crust with the egg wash and cut vent holes in the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use the 8 quart Instant Pot (just increase potato water to 1.5 cups).
- Category: Beef and Pork
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.