Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie Casserole—a beefy savory casserole with potatoes, green beans and cheddar cheese. The flavors from shepherd’s pie made with a super easy, one-pot method.
Related: SLOW COOKER Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
When I was growing up my mom would make her version of shepherd’s pie whenever we had leftover mashed potatoes to use up. It was a baked casserole of ground beef with canned tomato soup, canned green beans, mashed potatoes and then cheese on top. It sounds weird but I absolutely loved it. My sister, Gina, hated it…lol. There’s always one picky kid, right?!
My spin on shepherd’s pie is a one-pot, easy version that uses cubed potatoes instead of mashed, fresh green beans instead of canned, no tomato soup but tomato paste and worcestershire instead. Of course my version is also topped with grated melty cheddar cheese.
No picky kids saying “ew!” with my version. Everyone loved it including a friend that was over. If you have never made shepherd’s pie or if you’re traumatized from your mom’s version as a kid, try my version. I think you’ll really love this fast and easy, updated shepherd’s pie.
More Ground Beef Instant Pot Recipes…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie Casserole I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
The 365 Days of Slow and Pressure Cooking website has 3-4 new Instant Pot recipes a week! If you sign up for my emails (fill out the form below) you’ll receive an email each time something new is on the site. You can also join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group which is run by my husband Greg and myself. If you’re a visual learner consider subscribing to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
A beefy savory casserole with potatoes, green beans and cheddar cheese. The flavors from shepherd’s pie made with a super easy, one-pot method.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 pound yellow or red potatoes, cut into cubes (skins off or on)
- ½ pound fresh green beans, washed and trimmed (or you can use canned, see note)
- 1 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef and break it up*. Add in the onions. Brown the ground beef for about 5 minutes. Drain off any excess grease. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Then turn off the Instant Pot. Stir in the tomato paste, worcestershire, salt, garlic powder and oregano. Then add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so there is no stuck on food.
- Add in the yellow potatoes and then top with the green beans.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 2 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheddar and then scoop onto plates and serve.
If you prefer, you can use canned green beans instead of fresh. Don’t add the beans until after the food has pressure cooked. Just drain the green beans and stir them in along with the cheese. They’ll warm through quickly.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR)
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.