Instant Pot Frito Pie Chili—all the flavors from frito pie except in the form of stew. This delicious chili is made really fast and all in one pot using your Instant Pot. You might want to double this recipe and have it for lunch all week!
Instant Pot Frito Pie Chili
This recipe was a happy accident! I was trying to make a more solidified Frito pie rice dish but ended up with a chili/stew consistency. It was a perfect end to a cold winter day. And the toppings of diced green onions, fritos, sour cream and tomatoes on top made it all the better. My family scraped the pot clean as I stood back watching and wishing that I had doubled the recipe for leftovers.
I always loved those “walking tacos” as a kid. Do you know what I’m talking about? You take a mini bag of Frito corn chips and then put taco toppings into the bag. So a scoop of taco meat, some cheese, beans, lettuce, sour cream and tomatoes. Then you eating your “taco” straight out of the chip bag. This Instant Pot Frito Pie Chili brought me back to my childhood. Same flavors only served out of a bowl with a spoon. Not quite as fun, but even more tasty.
For this recipe I used chili beans. Chili beans are found next to the regular canned beans at the grocery store. Some common brands that sell chili beans are Bush’s and S&W. Chili beans are pinto beans that are canned in tomato sauce and have seasonings added. I found that the use of these beans gave the chili an extra boost of flavor.
If you like this Instant Pot Frito Pie Chili I think you’ll also love my Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili. It is super addicting, as the name implies. And if you’re in the mood for just a basic downhome chili I think you’ll like my Instant Pot basic chili a lot!
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Frito Pie Chili I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
The 365 Days of Slow and Pressure Cooking website has 3-4 new Instant Pot recipes a week! If you sign up for my emails (fill out the form below) you’ll receive an email each time something new is on the site. You can also join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group which is run by my husband Greg and myself. If you’re a visual learner consider subscribing to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
All the flavors from frito pie except in the form of stew. This delicious chili is made really fast and all in one pot using your Instant Pot. You might want to double this recipe and have it for lunch all week!
- 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup long grain white rice or jasmine rice
- 1 (10 oz) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans (pinto beans in tomatoes and seasoning, also called ranch style beans)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ¼ cups Fritos chips
- 5 Tbsp diced green onions
- 5 Tbsp sour cream
- 5 Tbsp diced tomatoes
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the ground beef/turkey and break it up. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning. Add in the diced onion. Brown the meat for about 4-5 minutes. If there is excess grease, drain it off. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the water and scrape the bottom of the pot to make sure nothing is sticking. Sprinkle in the rice. Pour the enchilada sauce over the rice, then dump the beans on top. Don’t stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese. Ladle into 5 bowls and top each bowl with ¼ cup Fritos, 1 Tbsp green onions, 1 Tbsp sour cream and 1 Tbsp diced tomatoes. Enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.