Instant Pot Tater Tot Casserole–the hot dish your mom used to make with ground beef, veggies and tater tots only it’s made in the Instant Pot instead of the oven.
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. (See all the state recipes I’ve covered so far.) Today’s recipe is inspired by The Beaver State, Oregon. When I think of Oregon I think of Crater Lake, Tillamook Cheese, Haystack Rock, Nike, University of Oregon, Running Town USA and the Oregon Coast.
Instant Pot Tater Tot Casserole
Today I could have chosen several food items to include. Oregon is known for its abundance of mushrooms, hazelnuts and marionberries. It also is home to the Tillamook cheese factory. I tried to make a berry buckle with hazelnut topping in the Instant Pot and it completely and utterly failed.
So I went back to the internet for ideas and came across the fact that tater tots were created and perfected in a plant in Northeastern Oregon. The Ore-Ida company was named after the location of the potato plant which is on the Oregon-Idaho border. Tater tots were made from potato scraps that seemed unusable and so were fed to cattle. The founder of Ore-Ida, Nephi Griggs, was “not one to waste anything, especially ‘product that has been purchased from the grower, stored for months, gone thru the peeling process, gone thru the specking lines and trimmed of all the defects, only to be eliminated into the cattle feed,’… So they got creative, smashed those bits together with some new machinery, blanched, formed, cooked in oil, and froze what would become their company’s namesake.” Read the whole origin story.
And I can’t reference tater tots without referencing this scene from Napoleon Dynamite…classic 😂!
So with that as a backdrop, today’s recipe is Instant Pot tater tot casserole. I have heard of tater tot casserole but I honestly can’t remember ever eating it. It’s a classic hot dish recipe with ground beef, cream soup, vegetables and topped with crispy tater tots. Probably not the healthiest recipe but it does taste good and the kids love it!
You’re probably wondering how in the heck the tater tots will get crispy if this is an Instant Pot recipe. I used my Mealthy Crisplid to get them nice and toasty. You can also use the Ninja Foodi* or the Instant Pot with the air fryer lid*. Alternately, you can cook the tater tots in the oven and toss them on top of your casserole.
More Instant Pot Casserole Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
The hot dish your mom used to make with ground beef, veggies and tater tots only it’s made in the Instant Pot instead of the oven.
- 1 pound extra lean or lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Worcesteshire
- ¾ cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen cut green beans
- 1 (14 oz) can corn, drained (you can also use frozen)
- 1 (10 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 16 oz frozen tater tots
- 1–2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onion. Add in garlic powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the green beans on top of the meat. Then dump the corn on top of the beans. Scoop the mushroom soup on top of the corn. Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the sour cream and half of the cheese.
- Layer the tater tots on top of the mixture. Then sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top.
- If you have an air fryer lid place it on top of the Instant Pot. Turn the lid to 400° F and cook for 10 minutes until tater tots are crispy and cooked through. If you don’t have an air fryer lid then cook the tater tots according to package directions in the oven and then scoop on top of Instant Pot contents and top with the rest of the cheese.
- Serve and enjoy! Salt and pepper to taste.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.