Instant Pot John Wayne Casserole—baked biscuits are topped with a layered mixture of seasoned ground beef, tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos and cheese. An easy weeknight meal that everyone loves!
Instant Pot John Wayne Casserole
I’ve heard of John Wayne Casserole but have never made it before. I was skeptical as I looked at the list of ingredients and I wondered how it would turn out. However, it was completely loved by me and my family. I will definitely be adding this to my rotation of meals.
Instant Pot John Wayne Casserole starts with freshly baked biscuits. I chose to use Pillsbury Grands Biscuits instead of making homemade biscuits. But if you prefer you can definitely make homemade biscuits. While the biscuits are baking a mixture of beef, tomatoes, rice, onions and bell peppers pressure cooks in your Instant Pot. After pressure cooking the mixture is topped with pickled jalapenos (don’t worry they aren’t too spicy, especially if you get the mild version), dollops of sour cream and cheddar cheese. Spoon the mixture over split biscuits and enjoy a delicious meal!
Why is it called John Wayne Casserole?
John Wayne contributed a casserole recipe to a 1979 cookbook titled, Cooking with Love from Cara and Her Friends, compiled by an author named Cara Connery. The original recipe was quite different than today’s version (it contained eggs). Somewhere along the way a Mississippi hospital cafeteria developed a version that looked more like my recipe with a biscuit base. It became so popular that on the days they served John Wayne Casserole there was a line out the cafeteria door!
More Instant Pot Casserole Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Baked biscuits are topped with a layered mixture of seasoned ground beef, tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos and cheese. An easy weeknight meal that everyone loves!
- 1 (16 oz) can Pillsbury Grands Biscuits or homemade biscuits
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup pickled tame jalapenos
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven and bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Turn Instant to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the beef, taco seasoning and onions. Break up the beef* and brown it for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off sauté setting.
- Sprinkle in the rice over the broth. Add in the bell pepper and tomatoes on top, do not stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Stir. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Add dollops of sour cream on top and sprinkle on the jalapenos and the cheddar. Let cheese melt.
- On each serving plate place an open sliced biscuit. Scoop casserole on top of biscuits. Eat and enjoy.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. No changes needed for the 3 quart pot. If making in an 8 quart pot increase beef broth to 1.5 cups.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.