Instant Pot Beef Chow Mein Casserole is a classic Midwestern hot dish with ground beef, rice, creamy soup, and celery that is topped with Chow Mein noodles. Grandma used to make it in the oven and now you can make it in half the time in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Beef Chow Mein Casserole
I’ve had chow mein casserole recipe in a old family cookbook for years. It is one my mom and grandma would make every now and then. I always thought it was a family recipe but after googling a bit I am realizing there are plenty of other people that had this exact same dish growing up!
Today’s version is made in the Instant Pot instead of the oven. I cut down on sodium by using the Healthy Request version of the cream soups and low sodium soy sauce. It still tastes like home and is good old fashioned comfort food.
For this casserole recipe I used the pot-in-pot method. I knew that if I stirred the cream soups, rice and water together it would definitely receive the burn message if it was cooked directly in the pot. To circumvent this issue I cooked the casserole inside an oven safe dish inside the Instant Pot liner. I like to use a 3 quart Instant Pot liner* inside my 6 quart or 8 quart Instant Pot liner. It works perfectly for pot in pot casseroles. To lower the pot into place I like to use my OXO trivet/sling*.
More Instant Pot Casserole Recipes…
A classic Midwestern hot dish with ground beef, rice, creamy soup, and celery that is topped with Chow Mein noodles. Grandma used to make it in the oven and now you can make it in half the time in your Instant Pot.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (10.5 oz) can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 (10.5 oz) can Campbell’s Healthy Request Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1/4 cup parboiled rice or long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups chow mein noodles
- Diced green onions, for topping
- In a pan on the stove or in your Instant Pot on the sauté setting, brown the ground beef and sauté the onions. Add the mixture into a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot used for pot-in-pot cooking. Clean out bottom of Instant Pot (if you used it for browning the beef).
- Stir the cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, celery, water chestnuts, rice, water and soy sauce in with the beef.
- Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place filled pan on top of a trivet/sling and lower it into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 25 minutes. When time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove lid.
- Lift out the pan and stir. Sprinkle chow mein noodles on top. Scoop onto plates and serve topped with green onions.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 quart pot with no changes except adding 1.5 cups of water beneath trivet instead of 1 cup water.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.