Instant Pot Cheesy Ham Chowder—a creamy, comforting soup that is chock full of ham, potatoes, carrots and corn. A perfect dinner for a fall or winter evening.
Pin this recipe for later!
Instant Pot Cheesy Ham Chowder
How can this recipe be bad when it has cheese, ham and bacon? It can’t. The end.
No but really, this is a solid chowder recipe that you’re going to love!
Notes about the ingredients:
Potatoes–I used yellow yukon gold potatoes. I didn’t peel my potatoes because I like the skins. Red and russet potatoes also work just fine. Peel or unpeeled it’s up to you!
Corn–I like frozen corn over canned corn but really both would work. If you end up using canned corn drain it before adding it into the pot.
Half and half–this is found by the heavy cream and basically it’s just half cream and half whole milk. Other options include whole milk or evaporated milk.
Ham–because it’s not the day after Easter I didn’t have any leftover ham. I bought a couple packages of cubed ham that are sold next to the whole hams. This definitely made prep time faster!
Bacon crumbles–I buy these in a big bag from Costco. It makes cooking easier. You can also use 10 slices of bacon that has been cooked and crumbled.
Sharp cheddar–I like to use sharp cheddar in recipes like this because you get the more intense flavor with less cheese.
Pin this recipe for later!
More Amazing Instant Pot Soup Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Ham Chowder? Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
A creamy, comforting soup that is chock full of ham, potatoes, carrots and corn. A perfect dinner for a fall or winter evening.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 ½ cup diced potatoes (peeled or with skins on…any variety of potato will work, I used yellow)
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup bacon crumbles
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, corn, pepper, thyme and ham. Turn off the saute setting.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 3 minutes (if you don’t have a SOUP button just use the manual/pressure cook button). When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir ¼ cup of hot broth into the half and half and stir to temper it. Then pour the half and half into the pot. In a small bowl stir together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3-4 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Stir in the bacon and cheddar. Turn off the saute setting.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart with no changes. For the 3 quart pot halve all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.