Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup—a classic after-holiday recipe using leftover ham. But it can be made any time using ham steak purchased from the grocery store. It is a delicious brothy white bean soup with chunks of ham.
Related: Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup
Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
Today’s recipe comes to you from a new cookbook called The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Affordable Meals Recipe Book by Aileen Clark*. I was intrigued as I thumbed through this cookbook to see that each recipe costs less than $12 per meal. And each meal serves 4-6 people. There are 175 different recipes in categories such as breakfast, soups, beans, appetizers, side dishes, chicken, beef, seafood, vegetarian and desserts.
Some recipes that I thought sounded good were:
- Ham and Egg Breakfast Burritos
- Spicy Mushroom Rice
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Sandwiches
- Mongolian Beef
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
This book is a good option for Instant Pot fans who are looking to cut costs and want fast, fresh, and delicious meals the whole family will enjoy. Right now on Amazon is only costs $12.70.*
My family enjoyed this simply brothy ham and bean soup. The flavor is so tasty thanks to the chunks of ham, the bay leaf and the fresh garlic. If you’re a ham eater on Thanksgiving you may want to use your leftover ham in this healthy, delicious inexpensive dinner. But even if you don’t have any leftover ham you can still make the soup by buying ham steak at the grocery store.
More Instant Pot Recipes with Ham…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
Ham and bean soup is a classic after-holiday recipe, using up leftover ham and bones. But it can be made any time with the use of ham steak purchased from the grocery store.
- 1 pound dried great northern beans (or two cans of great northern beans)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) ham steak, cubed with bone reserved
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Soak beans overnight or quick soak beans in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. Put oil and onion into Instant Pot. Cook onion 2 minutes until soft.
- Add in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add beans, ham and ham bone, broth, carrots, parsley, pepper and bay leaf to Instant Pot.
- Close lid and set pressure release to sealing.
- Press Manual or Pressure Cook button and adjust time to 4 minutes for canned beans or 20 minute for soaked beans.
- When the timer beeps, quick release pressure and then unlock lid and remove it.
- Remove bay leaf and ham bone. Serve.
Recipe is from The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Affordable Meals Recipe Book*
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1068 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 37 g
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
The 365 Days of Slow and Pressure Cooking website has 3-4 new Instant Pot recipes a week! If you sign up for my emails (fill out the form below) you’ll receive an email each time something new is on the site. You can also join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group which is run by my husband Greg and myself. If you’re a visual learner consider subscribing to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
I received a review copy of this cookbook, all opinions are my own.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.