Instant Pot Sausage Rice—smoked sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, rice and parmesan cheese cooked quickly in your pressure cooker. This meal is loaded with flavor and is a dump and go one pot meal.
Instant Pot Sausage Rice
Other names I could have called this dinner:
- Party in my mouth rice
- One pot dinner delight
- When can we have this again?
You know what’s crazy? I actually had all the ingredients for this Instant Pot sausage rice at my house! It was a dinnertime miracle. Whether or not you can make this recipe tonight you need to bookmark this recipe to make sometime. It’s fast and easy and a dinner all in one pot.
Some substitution ideas:
Sausage: I used chicken garlic smoked sausage made by Hillshire Farms. Other options are smoked sausage, kielbasa, andouille sausage, ground Italian sausage (make sure to brown it first), etc.
Mushrooms: I used fresh button mushrooms. You can also use drained canned mushrooms. Or leave them out if you don’t care for them.
Tomatoes: I used a can of petite diced tomatoes. Other options are fresh diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, fire roasted or stewed tomatoes.
Rice: I love using the parboiled (converted) rice for this recipe as it does not stick. I buy my parboiled rice in the big bins at Winco or in bags at Walmart. Don’t confuse parboiled rice with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated.
You can basically use any type of rice for this recipe, just adjust the cooking times and water to rice ratios by looking at the green chart below:
More one pot instant pot dinners…
Related: Check out my YouTube channel where I share step by step Instant Pot recipes like 6 Ingredient Mexican Rice and Beans…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
Smoked sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes, rice and parmesan cheese cooked quickly in your pressure cooker. This meal is loaded with flavor and is a dump and go one pot meal.
- 1 (12 oz) package pre-cooked rope smoked sausage, sliced into quarter inch slices
- 1 cup uncooked converted/parboiled rice (read rice section above for other types of rice)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 oz package of white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Add sausage into pot in an even layer. Sprinkle in the rice evenly. Pour the water into the pot. Layer the mushrooms and tomatoes over the top. Sprinkle in the garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Don’t stir.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes (for other types of rice see times and water to rice ratios in the green chart above). When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes. Move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir the contents of the pot. Scoop onto serving dishes and sprinkle each dish with 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.