Instant Pot Queso Chicken—an easy 6 ingredient dump and go chicken recipe that is cheesy and creamy and addicting!
Note: Slow cooker instructions listed in the recipe card below.
Instant Pot Queso Chicken
You know that velveeta rotel dip that tastes so good but always makes you feel a little guilty? Well this chicken tastes better than that and it doesn’t use velveeta or nacho cheese dip. Just a handful of ingredients bring the flavor to this saucy chicken and you probably have the ingredients at your house!
This chicken has lots of delicious sauce that I could drink, it was that good. I served my chicken over rice but everyone else in my family served the chicken with tortilla chips. Other options might be rolling up the chicken in a tortilla or for you low-carbers serve it over riced cauliflower. Have you see that huge bag of cauliflower rice at Costco? It’s in the frozen section and it’s so convenient for a quick, healthy dinner.
For a more accurate chicken cooking time you may want to watch this youtube video where I explain what weight and thickness have to do with pressure cooking time.
I ended up using frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts that were quite large. They needed about 18 minutes to cook through. However if you’re using smaller organic chicken breasts that are fresh you won’t need nearly that much time.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
An easy 6 ingredient dump and go chicken recipe that is cheesy and creamy and addicting!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel (I used mild)
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
- Add chicken into Instant Pot and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Add in water and dump the Rotel on top of the chicken. Dump the cream cheese on top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for thawed chicken or 18 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Move chicken to a cutting board.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute. Stir the sauce to incorporate the cream cheese. Add in the cheese. Stir cornstarch and water together until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry into the pot to thicken the sauce. Once sauce is thickened turn off the Instant Pot.
- Slice or shred the chicken. Serve the chicken and sauce with tortilla chips or over rice. Top with cilantro and diced fresh tomatoes, if desired.
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, rotel and cream cheese to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Shred or slice the chicken. Stir the sauce.
- Add in the cheese. Stir cornstarch and water together until smooth. Add the cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker to thicken the sauce. Turn to high and let it thicken for about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and sauce with tortilla chips or over rice. Top with cilantro and diced fresh tomatoes, if desired.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Use the 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
What is Rotel? Rotel is diced tomatoes with green chilies. I usually buy the mild version instead of the original but if you like a little kick choose the original.
Can I use a different type of cheese? Yes! Try sharp cheddar, smoky pepper jack, colby jack or others. The more sharp and flavorful cheese the more flavor the sauce will have.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.