Instant Pot Mamaw’s Casserole–an easy, homemade chicken and rice casserole that’s comforting, filling and healthy.
Instant Pot Mamaw’s Casserole
I found a recipe called Mamaw’s casserole and wondered what it was all about. Of course it was a recipe that had been passed down from Grandma to mother to daughter. These are the types of recipes that make my heart happy. They taste good and they also “taste” nostalgic which is one of my favorite flavors. My version of the recipe uses healthier alternatives and the end result was something that was homey, comforting but not overfilling. Greg loved it and ate as much as he could! Add this dinner to your menu this week!
- This recipe can be dairy free. Substitute olive oil for the butter.
- I used frozen boneless thighs which stay moist and tender. You can also use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Keep the same cooking time.
- I used brown rice with a 22 minute pressure cook time. You can also make this with white rice. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces so that it will cook at same rate as the rice. Pressure cook for 5 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in your 3 or 8 quart pot with no changes.
- You may want to double this recipe for a larger family (I served 4 people and the pot was scraped clean). You can double all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
- If you aren’t a fan of frozen peas you can just leave them out. Try adding in another vegetable that you enjoy!
More Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
An easy, homemade chicken and rice casserole that’s comforting, filling and healthy.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is fine)
- 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 or 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says hot add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions and saute for 4-5 minutes. Pour in the water and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the rice. Add in the chicken base, thighs, mushrooms, salt, poultry seasoning, pepper, cayenne, celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder and carrots.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the peas. Break up the chicken with a fork.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can also make this with white rice. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces so that it will cook at same rate as the rice. Pressure cook for 5 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 22 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.