Instant Pot Mexican Queso Chicken and Rice–flavorful, tender and moist chicken on top of seasoned rice and drizzled with a cheese sauce.
Instant Pot Mexican Queso Chicken and Rice
If you’re looking for perfectly seasoned chicken and rice that’s super easy to make I’ve got a recipe for you! I think you’re really going to love this chicken and rice recipe. The cheese sauce that’s drizzled on top is the bomb too!
What makes this recipe so tasty? The chicken is tossed in plenty of seasonings and because it’s cooked right on top of the rice the rice gets seasoned too. Because chicken tenders are used they get perfectly cooked in just 5 minutes along with the parboiled rice. Then a flavorful dreamy, creamy cheese sauce is quickly prepared and drizzled over the top.
Can I use chicken breasts? Yes, just cut them up into the size of chicken tenders.
What about frozen chicken? You can try using frozen chicken tenders. However, they will put off a little extra liquid so you may want to cut down on the broth by a couple of tablespoons.
Can I use a different type of rice? The parboiled rice works so well because it’s not sticky or clumpy. It really was so perfect. However, I do understand that you may want to try another type of rice. If you’d like to use long grain white rice, jasmine or basmati you can follow the recipe ratios and times as listed in the green chart below. Brown rice won’t work for this recipe because the chicken will get way too overdone.
More Chicken and Rice Instant Pot Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Flavorful, tender and moist chicken on top of seasoned rice and drizzled with a cheese sauce.
- 2 ¼ pounds fresh chicken tenders
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups parboiled/converted rice
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Add chicken into a large bowl. Add in the cayenne, oregano, paprika, cumin, kosher salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and olive. Toss the chicken so it is coated in the oil and seasonings.
- Pour the broth into Instant Pot. Sprinkle the rice into the pot.
- Place chicken on top of rice.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove lid.
- Scoop rice and chicken onto a platter.
- Clean out Instant Pot liner.
- Make the cheese sauce by turning Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add the butter in and let melt. Whisk in flour and cook until it begins to bubble. Add in the milk, slowly, whisking well. Continue to whisk until mixture is heated through. When mixture is hot enough to melt cheese (but not boiling) add in the cheese and let melt. Stir in the salt, paprika and cayenne. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle cheese sauce over each serving of rice and chicken. Eat and enjoy!
Don’t confuse parboiled rice with pre-cooked or minute rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
Try serving this with some pico de gallo and sliced avocados on top!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.