Instant Pot Chicken Olivia–a creamy chicken casserole with rice and cheese that’s just so homey and comforting.
Instant Pot Chicken Olivia
This recipe reminds me of a cross between chicken enchiladas and hawaiian haystacks. It starts with a bed of rice, then chopped chicken, a creamy sauce with green chiles and finally cheese. It is a perfect casserole recipe that everyone will love. I am not sure on why it is named chicken olivia. My version is adapted from a recipe on Bunny’s Warm Oven. Her version does have olives in it so maybe that has something to do with it?? Whatever you call it it’s still tasty and I hope you like it as much as we did!
- This is a perfect recipe to make for a friend. Make one 8 inch pan for you and one 8 inch pan for a friend. It does make a lot so if you’re just serving 4-6 people you may want to consider halving the recipe.
- You can make this recipe completely if your Instant Pot if you have an air fryer lid. I have the 6 quart Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Multi-Use Pressure Cooker and Air Fryer* which is a really fun kitchen tool!
- Because I like to cook the chicken and rice at the same time I used brown rice. Brown rice requires a 20 minutes cooking time. For my frozen chicken thighs and breasts this worked out perfectly. If you want to use white rice you’ll have to cook it separately. Or you may cook it in your Instant Pot but you will need to cut the chicken into bite size pieces or use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken (3 cups) for the recipe. White rice uses a 3-5 minutes pressure cook time with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Feel free to use a different type of cheese. Colby Jack or Monterey Jack would both be tasty!
- If you don’t like using canned cream of soups you can make your own from scratch.
More Recipes You’ll Love…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A creamy chicken casserole with rice and cheese that’s just so homey and comforting.
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination of both)
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 (4 oz) cans diced green chiles
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pour broth into Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the rice. Don’t stir. Place chicken into Instant Pot (frozen is fine). Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes (the brown rice needs the longer cook time!). When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a cutting board and shred or chop.
- Scoop the rice into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish or 2 8×8 inch baking dishes.
- Add the chicken on top of the rice evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream of chicken, green chiles, sour cream and green onions.
- Spread the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a 350° F oven. Then sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for 10 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is easy to cut in half. Just halve all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same. Make into one 8×8 inch pan or follow air fryer lid instructions below.
Air Fryer Lid Instructions: If you have an air fryer lid* you can make this recipe completely in your Instant Pot instead of using the oven. Just follow steps 1-3. Then add chopped chicken back into the pot on top of the rice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large bowl mix together the cream of chicken, green chiles, sour cream and green onions. Spread the mixture over the top of the chicken. Place the air fryer lid on top and use the “bake” button for 20 minutes at 350° F. Then add the cheese and bake for 3-5 more minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot/Oven
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.