Instant Pot Snow on the Mountain–a bed of rice covered with chicken, sauce, a pile of toppings that ends with shredded coconut. It looks like a mountain with snow on the top!
Instant Pot Snow on the Mountain
For Greg’s Wild Card Wednesday pick he chose Snow on the Mountain. It’s rice with chicken and sauce poured over the top and then many different salty and sweet toppings are piled on top. The shredded coconut finishes the dish off and it looks like a mountain with snow on the top. We all enjoyed it and each person could personalize their own meal by what toppings they put on top.
The cool thing about this recipe is that you can make the chicken and rice at the same time using the pot in pot method. I used one of these pans* for the rice on top of a tall trivet*. The rice steams perfectly inside its pan while the chicken is cooking below it. I used long grain white rice but you could also use jasmine, basmati or converted rice.
I liked using boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. They stay moist and tender and have lots of flavor. I buy a big bag of frozen thighs from Costco. If you’d prefer you can use breasts instead of thighs. They will take a similar amount of time. To see exact cooking times for chicken breasts you can see How To Cook Chicken Breasts In The Instant Pot (Frozen Or Fresh).
There are all sorts of toppings you can add to the top of your mountain. Some that I like are:
- Chopped almonds
- Shredded coconut
- Diced tomatoes
- Bacon crumbles
- Grated cheese
- Diced bell pepper
- Pineapple chunks
- Mandarin oranges
- Chow mein noodles
- Green onions
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
- Instant Pot Chicken Little
- Instant Pot Marry Me Chicken
- Instant Pot Southern Sunday Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken and Biscuits
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Primavera
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
A bed of rice covered with chicken, sauce, a pile of toppings that ends with shredded coconut. It looks like a mountain with snow on the top!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups chicken broth (or 2 cups water + 2 tsp better than bouillon)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2–3 Tbsp cornstarch
- For pot in pot rice: 1 ½ cups rice + 2 ¼ cups water
- Toppings: chopped almonds, pimentos, bacon crumbles, diced tomatoes, grated cheese and shredded coconut
- Add chicken and broth into Instant Pot. Sprinkle the chicken with curry powder, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- If you’d like to make pot-in-pot rice add rice and water to a pan*. Cover the pan. Place a long legged trivet* into the Instant Pot on top of the chicken. Place the pan on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Carefully remove the rice pan.
- Shred the chicken. Make a cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl stir together 2-3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Salt and pepper the sauce to taste.
- Scoop rice onto a plate. Top with chicken and sauce mixture. Top with all desired toppings, ending with coconut.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.