Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice–creamy, comforting risotto-like rice with chicken thighs, garlic, onions, mushrooms, kale and cheese.
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice (video)
My mom used to make a recipe with chicken and rice in the oven that had cream of mushroom soup (sort of like the no peek chicken). I loved the consistency of the creamy rice in that recipe. But today I wanted to make a version that didn’t have any cans of cream of soup in it. It turned out creamy and delicious and didn’t take too much effort at all!
The key to getting the creamy rice consistency in this recipe is using the arborio rice. Arborio rice is a short-grain rice that’s typically used in risotto recipes. Arborio is known for its creamy texture. Because of its high starch content, this rice has a starchy taste and absorbs the flavors it is cooked with very well. You can find arborio rice in your grocery store next to the other rices. It costs about double but it is worth it! I like to buy mine in the bulk section at Winco and get exactly how much I need.
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs because they turn out much more tender and moist than chicken breasts in the Instant Pot. If you end up using chicken breasts I recommend make sure they aren’t too thick or else they might not cook in the 10 minutes of pressure cooking time.
I love mushrooms so I included them in my recipe. However if you are not a fan (uh, my kids) then you can leave them out. The same goes for the kale. Although you could substitute spinach for kale, if you prefer.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Creamy, comforting risotto-like rice with chicken thighs, garlic, onions, mushrooms, kale and cheese.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice (very important to use this rice for the creamy consistency)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is fine)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Let it melt and then add in the onion. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Then add in garlic and the rice and sauté for 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 cup of the broth. Let the rice soak up the broth for 2-3 minutes. While it’s soaking up add in the garlic salt, pepper, paprika and onion powder.
- Turn off the sauté setting. Add in the rest of the broth. Scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Add in the chicken, mushrooms and kale.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart pot with no changes. Halve the recipe in your 3 quart pot (same cooking time).
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.