Instant Pot Tamale Casserole has seasoned ground beef, corn, olives, tomatoes and cheese with corn bread baked on top. An easy one pot meal made fast in your Instant Pot or slow in your Crockpot.
SLOW COOKER tamale casserole instructions listed in the recipe card below.
Instant Pot Tamale Casserole
I was a bit nervous about this recipe, not knowing if the cornbread part on top would cook through and taste good. Turns out I had nothing to worry about! This Instant Pot tamale casserole was wonderful! We scarfed the whole pot down in minutes.
To make the casserole I used the pot-in-pot method. This ensures that the the burn error message won’t happen and that I can control how liquid-y the casserole is or isn’t. For the pot-in-pot method you’ll need a tall oven safe dish that fits inside your Instant Pot. I used this 3 quart Instant Pot liner* inside my 6 quart Instant Pot liner. Genius! It works so well. I believe that the Fat Daddios 7 inch by 4 inch pan* would also work well. And, no, you can’t use the 6 quart Instant Pot liner inside the 8 quart pot. It is too big and will get stuck.
Authentic tamales are a traditional Mexican dish with corn masa that is filled and wrapped in corn husks or banana leaves before being steamed. Corn masa can be hard to find and if you know me you know that I like cooking with items in my house in the easiest way possible. For this tamale casserole I used corn meal. This is not an authentic recipe but it sure tastes good and I think you’ll really love it too!
What should I serve with Instant Pot tamale casserole?
There are so many great toppings that you can serve on your casserole. Try these:
- Diced avocados
- Extra cheddar
- Diced tomatoes
- Salsa, picante sauce or pico de gallo
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream or Creme Fraiche
- Cilantro or green onions
This is a great one pot meal where veggies, protein and carbs are all in one dish. If you want extra veggies serve alongside a green salad or top with shredded lettuce.
More Recipes You’ll Love…
Tamale Casserole has seasoned ground beef, corn, olives, tomatoes and cheese with corn bread baked on top. An easy one pot meal made fast in your Instant Pot or slow in your Crockpot.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning, dividing
- 1 (14.5 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (2.25 oz) can sliced olives, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can Rotel (I used mild)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, cilantro, sour cream, diced tomatoes
- In a pan on your stove or in your Instant Pot on the saute setting brown the ground beef with 1 Tbsp of the taco seasoning. If there is excess grease, drain it off. Clean out Instant Pot (if used).
- Add the ground beef to a tall pan that will fit inside your Instant Pot (I use this 3 quart pot inside my 6 quart pot). Add in the corn, olives, rotel, black beans (if desired) and 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the egg, milk, oil and sugar. Stir until smooth. Spoon the mixture over the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the cornbread batter. Cover the pot with foil.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the pan on a trivet with handles*. Lower the trivet and pot into the Instant Pot. Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes. When time is up perform a quick release.
- Remove the pot and remove the foil. Scoop onto plates and serve with desired toppings.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Brown the ground beef with 1 Tbsp of taco seasoning. Drain off excess grease. In your slow cooker stir together the beef, corn, olives, rotel, black beans (if desired) and 1 Tbsp taco seasoning. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the egg, milk, oil and sugar. Stir until smooth. Spoon the mixture over the ground beef mixture. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the cornbread batter. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Scoop onto plates and serve with desired toppings.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.