Instant Pot French Onion Rice—savory, flavorful and cheesy! If you love the flavors of french onion soup you will love this easy Instant Pot casserole recipe.
Instant Pot French Onion Rice
My family all gave this dish 2 thumbs up and the pot was scraped clean. It reminded me of a casserole my grandma used to make. It’s got a lot of the flavors of french onion soup in it–minus the floating piece of bread and the addition of rice.
You’ll love how it only has 6 easy-to-find ingredients and the hardest part is cutting up the onion. This is a great weeknight meal!
What should I serve with Instant Pot french onion rice? We served ours up with sauteed zucchini, squash and cabbage with a bit of lemon pepper. Delish! Other ideas might be a green salad, steamed broccoli or crunchy raw veggies.
Did you know you can make many different types of steamed veggies in the Instant Pot with a zero minute pressure cooking time? It’s the best. Watch this video for more info…
Can I use white rice instead of brown rice? Yes! If you use white rice then change the broth/water amount to 1 ½ cups and only pressure cook for 10 minutes with a 5 minute natural pressure release.
For other types of rice check the liquid to rice ratio from the green chart and also the cooking times. Increase the rice cooking time by a few minutes. Extra time is needed because the pot is already warmed up from browning the beef and you miss out on some of those coming to pressure minutes.
Try these other recipes too…
Savory, flavorful and cheesy! If you love the flavors of french onion soup you will love this easy Instant Pot casserole recipe.
- 1 pound lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, large dice
- 1 ¼ cups beef broth or water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (see notes for white rice adjustments)
- 1 (1 oz) package onion soup mix
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese (you can also use Swiss or mozzarella)
- Turn Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the beef and break it up*. Add in the onion. Brown the beef for about 5 minutes. If there is excess grease drain it off.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot clean. Turn off the Instant Pot. Add in the rice and the onion soup mix. Press the rice down to submerge in the liquid.
- Cover the Instant Pot and set the manual/pressure cook button to 27 minutes on high pressure. Make sure valve is set to sealing. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir and then sprinkle in the cheese and let it melt.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 3 or 8 quart with no changes.
Can I use white rice instead of brown rice? Yes! If you use white rice then change the broth/water amount to 1 ½ cups and only pressure cook for 10 minutes with the 5 minute natural pressure release.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.