Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole—all the flavors from chicken cordon bleu but in casserole form. Plus it’s made quickly in your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
If you’re a fan of chicken and rice dinners I think you’ll really love this Instant Pot chicken cordon bleu casserole. It’s basically a creamy chicken and rice dinner with ham cubes, Swiss cheese and panko bread crumbs on top. Yum yum!
This recipe uses the pot-in-pot method. I originally made this recipe straight in the pot (layering instead of stirring) and the pot had a bit of trouble coming to pressure and then there was a little bit of burned rice on the bottom. It was still ultra tasty but I don’t want you to get the burn error message when you make it so I decided to use cook the casserole pot-in-pot.
If you’re unfamiliar with pot-in-pot basically it’s cooking food in a separate dish that’s placed on a trivet inside your Instant Pot liner. Steam is created from water below the trivet and builds pressure to cook the food. My favorite tools for cooking pot-in-pot are my OXO Sling* and a 7 inch x 3 inch cake pan*. These items work perfect with a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot.
After the rice and chicken pressure cooked I popped my pan out of the IP and layered some slices of Swiss cheese on top along with bread crumbs and put the pan under the broiler. This last step really gives the casserole that chicken cordon bleu flair.
You’ll also like…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
All the flavors from chicken cordon bleu but in casserole form. Plus it’s made quickly in your Instant Pot.
- 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice or converted white rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 (13.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
- 4 (1 oz) slices swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- In an oven safe pan* that fits inside your Instant Pot combine the rice, chicken broth, chicken, parsley, thyme, garlic powder, pepper, salt, ham and cream of chicken soup. Stir.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Then place the pan on top of a trivet* with handles and lower the trivet into the bottom of the pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and lock the lid into place. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes on high pressure. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 extra minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn your oven to broil setting. Use hot pads to remove the trivet and pan from the Instant Pot. Check the rice for doneness (if it’s not quite done you can put it back into the Instant Pot for another 5 minutes). Place the slices of Swiss cheese in an even layer over the casserole. Sprinkle the casserole with the bread crumbs. Place the casserole in the oven under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bread crumbs are toasted. (You can also do this step with your Mealthy Crisplid 500 degrees F for 1 minute.)
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.