Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken Casserole–an easy chicken and noodles recipe with cheese, sour cream, picante sauce, beans and corn. It’s a weeknight favorite!
Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken Casserole
Sometimes when I cook ahead for the blog I end up with a lot of food at my house! This chicken casserole was shared with our neighbors. She said, “How did we get so lucky??? That was so delicious! I had to force myself to stop taking more servings!”
Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken Casserole is an easy rotini pasta recipe that is mild enough for kids but can be spiced up if you’d like! You can start with frozen or fresh chicken breasts or thighs…or you can cut out a step and use rotisserie or canned chicken. I used frozen chicken thighs. Thighs turn out tender and moist in the Instant Pot. I usually buy mine in a big bag from Costco. You’ll partially cook the chicken for 10 minutes and then add in the pasta and other ingredients for 5 more minutes. Yes it does add a step, but this will ensure that the pasta doesn’t overcook. Timing is everything with the Instant Pot!
Ingredients Needed to Make Instant Pot Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth (or use 1 ½ cups water and 1 ½ tsp better than bouillon)
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is fine) or you can use rotisserie chicken (about 2 ½ cups chopped, cooked chicken)
- 1-3 Tbsp taco seasoning (I found that the bulk bin taco seasoning at Winco is potent! I only used 2 Tbsp but you might need to use up to 3 Tbsp depending on the brand you use.)
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 8 oz rotini pasta (you can also use elbow macaroni, shells, bowties, cavatappi)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (another choice is pinto beans)
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained (or throw in a couple cups of frozen corn)
- 1 cup Pace Picante Sauce (or salsa) (I like mild so it’s not too spicy)
- 1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced (for added color and a bit of freshness)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (you can also use Mexican blend, Monterey jack, pepper jack etc.)
More Mexican Inspired Instant Pot Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
An easy chicken and noodles recipe with cheese, sour cream, picante sauce, beans and corn. It’s a weeknight favorite!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts (frozen is fine)
- 1–3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 8 oz rotini pasta
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 cup mild Pace Picante Sauce (or salsa)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pour broth into Instant Pot. Add chicken into Instant Pot. Sprinkle with taco seasoning (I started with 1 Tbsp and added more later), cumin, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button 10 minutes. Move valve to venting and remove lid. Chicken won’t be cooked through.
- Add in the rotini, black beans and corn.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove lid.
- Use tongs to move chicken to a cutting board. Chop the chicken and add it back into the pot.
- Stir in the picante sauce, sour cream, tomatoes and 1 cup of the cheese. Taste test and add more taco seasoning, if needed.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and let it melt.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.