Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas Casserole—an easy and flavorful way to make chicken enchiladas. Dig in to layers of cheese, tortillas, enchilada sauce and seasoned chicken.
Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas Casserole
Chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite meals! So tasty with all those flavors and then the melty cheese on top. This casserole version makes chicken enchiladas super easy! You’re going to love how this recipe only has a handful of ingredients and how you don’t have to roll up the enchiladas.
Can I use rotisserie chicken? Yes! For a faster way of making this casserole use pre-cooked chicken like rotisserie chicken meat or canned chicken. Or I like to make my basic seasoned chicken and freeze for a recipe such as this one.
Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas? I’ve had mixed results with this. One reader said, “do NOT use flour tortillas. They get super soggy and gross in the moisture. Corn Only ALWAYS.” Louan made the king ranch chicken (which is a similar recipe) and said, “I made this tonight for my husband and I! I will be making this again. I only had flour shells but it’s still good!”
Why use a separate pot instead of just the instant pot? For casseroles like this one using the pot-in-pot (PIP) method is the only way to get satisfactory results. PIP allows you to pressure cook desserts, casseroles and other foods that don’t contain much liquid without them burning to the bottom.
What should I serve with Instant Pot chicken enchiladas casserole? Top with sour cream, diced avocados and cilantro. Serve alongside corn and roasted broccoli.
Can I make this low-carb? The tortillas are the carb culprit in this recipe. If you leave out the tortillas and add layers of sour cream and possibly riced cauliflower you could cut a lot of the carbs.
Try these other Instant Pot recipes…
An easy and flavorful way to make chicken enchiladas. Dig in to layers of cheese, tortillas, enchilada sauce and seasoned chicken.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cups enchilada sauce (I used hatch green chile enchilada sauce)
- 10 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies (I used mild)
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of Instant Pot. Add in the chicken. Cover the pot and make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for thawed chicken or 18 minutes for frozen chicken. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Discard the liquid.
- Add chicken to a bowl and shred the chicken. Stir the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper into the chicken. Clean out the Instant Pot.
- In a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot* pour in ¼ cup of enchilada sauce. Then layer the following ingredients twice (ending with cheese): ½ of the chicken, ½ of the tortillas, ¾ cup enchilada sauce, ½ of the green chilies, ¾ cup of cheese
- Cover the pan with foil. Pour 1 cup of water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place pan on a trivet with handles*. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 18 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the pan and uncover. Dig in with a spoon to scoop layers onto each plate. Eat and enjoy!
If you have pre-cooked chicken or canned chicken you can skip step 1.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Use in the 8 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.