Instant Pot Dijon Chicken—tender bites of bone-in chicken thighs and mushrooms are covered in a dijon, lemon and tarragon sauce. An easy electric pressure cooker recipe that is quick to get started.
Get the SLOW COOKER Dijon Chicken recipe here
Instant Pot Dijon Chicken
After making my Greek Chicken I was inspired to use my Instant Pot to cook bone-in chicken thighs again. Bone-in chicken just turns out so well in the Instant Pot. I loved the tang and bold taste of these mustard lemon and tarragon chicken thighs and sauce. I served this chicken over rice but I also think it would be tasty over my lemon rice or even mashed potatoes. If you’re trying to cut down on carbs then you can use cauliflower rice or just eat the chicken plain and serve with a side salad.
What if I want to use boneless skinless chicken breasts? I don’t love chicken breasts for recipes like this but you can try it if you want! This is what I would do. Follow the recipe as written except use the cooking times mentioned in this article for chicken breasts.
What if I don’t like mushrooms? Just leave them out, no other changes are necessary.
Can I cook rice at the same time? You can use the pot-in-pot method to cook long grain white rice at the same time. Try to fit all of your chicken into the bottom of the Instant Pot in one layer so you’ll have room for your rice. Here’s a video that demonstrates pot-in-pot rice:
More Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
What Equipment Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Dijon Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I also used my Mealthy Crisp Lid* to brown the skin of the chicken after it had pressure cooked. You can also do this step under the broiler in your oven.
Tender bites of bone-in chicken thighs and mushrooms are covered in a dijon, lemon and tarragon sauce.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 8–10 bone-in chicken thighs
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water (optional)
- In a bowl whisk together the broth, oil, mustard, lemon juice, lime juice, garlic, tarragon, pepper and salt.
- Place the chicken into the bottom of the Instant Pot. I layered mine in two layers. Pour the lemon juice mixture over the chicken. If using mushrooms dump them on top of the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes.
- When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to place chicken on a platter.
- Optional thickening step: Thicken the sauce by combining the cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until smooth. Then turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting and stir the cornstarch slurry into the pot. The cornstarch will thicken the sauce in a few minutes and then you can turn off the Instant Pot.
- Optional browning step:
- Option 1: Use your CrispLid to brown the chicken skin in batches. Unplug your Instant Pot. Pour gravy into a bowl. Place the fryer basket on top of the tall trivet and place into the Instant Pot. Place your CrispLid on top of the Instant Pot. Brown the chicken in batches. I did 4 pieces of chicken at a time. I set the temperature to 500 for about 4 minutes.
- Option 2: Use your oven’s broiler to brown the chicken skin. Place the chicken on a sheet pan and place under the broiler for a few minutes until the skin crisps up. Watch it closely as it browns fairly fast.
- Serve the chicken and mushrooms with some sauce drizzled on top.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.