Want to turn your Instant Pot into an air fryer? There is a new product called a CrispLid that might be right for you. I’ll show you what it is, what it does, how to use it and what I think of it.
What is the Mealthy CrispLid?
The Mealthy CrispLid turns your Instant Pot (or other 6 or 8 quart pressure cooker) into an air fryer. It is basically a heating unit and fan attached to a glass lid that fits on a 6 or 8 quart pressure cooker pot. It can broil, crisp, or air fry your food.
If you’re more of a visual learner you can watch a video that I made about the CrispLid as well as a tutorial on how to make “fries” and how to cook bacon with it. Please subscribe to my YouTube channel. I drop a new video weekly about Instant Pot stuff.
What does the Mealthy CrispLid do?
The CrispLid can melt your cheese on your pressure cooked scalloped potatoes or it can air fry your chicken parmesan. It can toast buns for your sandwiches. It can act as a broiler if you don’t want to turn the oven on. I have used it to make “fries.” I’ve used it to cook hot dogs when I didn’t want to grill them. I’m sure as I use it more I’ll think of plenty of more ideas on how to use it. If you check the Mealthy website there are lots of CrispLid recipes. I plan on posting CrispLid recipes here on 365 Days too, so keep checking back. Make sure to join the 365 Days email list!
How to use the Mealthy CrispLid
To use the CrispLid with your Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker):
- Make sure you have a stainless steel pot and an 6 or 8 quart pot. This CrispLid could damage ceramic, aluminum, or nonstick coatings.
- Unplug your pressure cooker. Plug in your CrispLid. Use the CrispLid handle and rest it on top of your stainless steel inner cooking pot.
- Lower the handle until it clicks into place. Press the temperature button (it looks like a thermometer) to select a cooking temperature. Use the + and – buttons to adjust. Then select a cooking time by pressing the button that looks like a clock. Again use the + and – buttons to adjust.
- When you are ready to begin the cooking cycle press the triangle button.
- The heating element will light up immediately. The heating element cycles on and off while it cooks to maintain the selected temperature. You can pause the cooking by lifting the handle. You can resume cooking by lower the handle into place.
- When the food is cooked you can remove the CrispLid by popping up the lid. Make sure to place the HOT lid on the silicone mat. This will protect your countertop. The heating element does get hot so place it away from kids and pets.
How much does the Mealthy CrispLid cost?
What does the Mealthy CrispLid come with?
The CrispLid comes with a long-legged trivet, a fryer basket, silicone mat and tongs. Plus it has a small recipe booklet and instruction manual.
What I think of the Mealthy CrispLid
- You can use your previously purchased 6 or 8 quart pressure cooker as an air fryer for less money than purchasing a separate air fryer.
- It is relatively small and you can find a place to store it much easier than a whole other appliance.
- The CrispLid goes up to 500 degrees which allows you to broil without turning on your oven.
- At a price point of $50 the CrispLid is cheaper than most air fryers which start at $75 and go up.
- By simply switching a lid you can go from pressure cooking to air frying or broiling. There are less dishes to clean up.
- I LOVE that you can see your food cooking through the glass lid.
- It’s very easy to use!
- The air fryer basket is small. The CrispLid seems to work best as an air fryer if the food is all in one layer. If you’re looking to cook a lot of food then you may just want to use your oven or cook in batches. For example, you can only really “fry” one to two potatoes at a time.
I’d love to know what you think of your Mealthy CrispLid! And if you don’t have one will you purchase one? Why or why not?
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.