Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken and Rice—an easy one pot meal of saucy, cheesy chicken thighs with black beans, corn and rice.
Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken and Rice
This all-in-one-pot meal is perfect for a busy weeknight because it comes together easily. Besides sauteeing the onion and grating some cheese it’s really a hands off dinner.
We loved the boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. The chicken gets perfectly tender. I buy them in a big bag in the frozen section at Costco. Another good choice would be bone-in chicken thighs. I’m not a fan of the skin so I would remove that first.
If you’re wondering if you can use chicken breasts for this recipe you can. I would use thicker chicken breasts because of the long 22 minute cooking time. They won’t be as tender and succulent as the chicken thighs but they’ll work.
What about the rice? I used a brown rice because that’s what I like to feed my family. If you’re not a fan of brown rice you can probably use a white rice with success. Here’s what I would do: Use 1 cup long grain white rice and 1 ¼ cups broth. I would cut up the chicken into bite size pieces before adding them into the pot. Then I would cook for 3 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release. By cutting the chicken into pieces you won’t get raw, uncooked chicken with the short 3 minute pressure cook time.
My favorite barbecue sauce is the Sweet Baby Ray’s original sauce. You can use whatever sauce that you and your family like best. I bought 5 smaller bottles at Smith’s last week for $5. Score!
I hope you like this easy one pot meal as much as my family and I did! We couldn’t get enough of the chicken. So tender!
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Barbecue Chicken and Rice I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
An easy one pot meal of saucy, cheesy chicken thighs with black beans, corn and rice.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn (canned is okay too, drain it first)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat (you can also do bone-in chicken thighs)
- ¾ cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic for 20 seconds.
- Deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Turn off the saute setting. Add in the rice. Then layer the beans, corn and chicken on top. Spoon the BBQ sauce on top of the chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Top with cheese, tomatoes and cilantro and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.