An easy and flavorful way to make chicken enchiladas. Dig in to layers of cheese, tortillas, enchilada sauce and seasoned chicken.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 3/4 cups enchilada sauce (I used hatch green chile enchilada sauce)
- 10 (6 inch) soft corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies (I used mild)
- 1 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of Instant Pot. Add in the chicken. Cover the pot and make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for thawed chicken or 18 minutes for frozen chicken. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Discard the liquid.
- Add chicken to a bowl and shred the chicken. Stir the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper into the chicken. Clean out the Instant Pot.
- In a pan that fits inside your Instant Pot* pour in ¼ cup of enchilada sauce. Then layer the following ingredients twice (ending with cheese): ½ of the chicken, ½ of the tortillas, ¾ cup enchilada sauce, ½ of the green chilies, ¾ cup of cheese
- Cover the pan with foil. Pour 1 cup of water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place pan on a trivet with handles*. Lower the pan into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 18 minutes. When time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Remove the pan and uncover. Dig in with a spoon to scoop layers onto each plate. Eat and enjoy!
If you have pre-cooked chicken or canned chicken you can skip step 1.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Use in the 8 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot