|Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder with Bacon|
I was so inspired by how the Broccoli Cheddar soup turned out the other day that I thought I’d use the same method and make a cheesy ham version. It was a really good idea and my whole family was in love with this soup!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced or shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp canola or olive oil
- 1 lb yellow butter potatoes (if you can’t find butter golds go for another yellow potato)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 6 oz diced cubes of ham
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn (optional)
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup half and half (or milk), warmed
- Green onions, diced
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the onion, carrot, garlic, thyme, and oil. Stir a bit. Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker.
- While the onions are cooking in the microwave, peel and dice the potatoes. Add them into the slow cooker.
- Add the salt and pepper and chicken broth into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-6 hours or on HIGH for about 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Transfer contents of slow cooker to a blender (working in batches, if necessary) and puree. Add pureed soup back into the slow cooker.
- Stir in bacon, ham, corn, cheese and half and half. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Ideal slow cooker size: 5 quart
- Method: Slow Cooker