A creamy, comforting soup that is chock full of ham, potatoes, carrots and corn. A perfect dinner for a fall or winter evening.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 ½ cup diced potatoes (peeled or with skins on…any variety of potato will work, I used yellow)
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 2 cups half and half
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup bacon crumbles
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Pour in the broth.
- Add in the carrots, potatoes, corn, pepper, thyme and ham. Turn off the saute setting.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 3 minutes (if you don’t have a SOUP button just use the manual/pressure cook button). When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir ¼ cup of hot broth into the half and half and stir to temper it. Then pour the half and half into the pot. In a small bowl stir together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3-4 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Stir in the bacon and cheddar. Turn off the saute setting.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart with no changes. For the 3 quart pot halve all the ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot