Instant Pot Cheater Korean Beef and Brown Rice–a quick version of a classic recipe made in your electric pressure cooker. The best part is that the beef and rice cook at the same time in the same Instant Pot.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Cheater Korean Beef and Brown Rice
One of my favorite slow cooker recipes that is on my blog is the slow cooker korean beef. It is super fast to make and the meat is seasoned perfectly. Not too sweet, not too salty, not too much heat but just the right amount of spiciness. I decided to try to make the beef and the rice in the Instant Pot at the same time. I’ve used this method with a few other recipes such as the Hawaiian Haystacks and the Honey Garlic Chicken and Rice.
Basically the method is to put a portion of the meal (such as the rice) in the bottom of the Instant Pot and then put an oven safe dish on top of the rice that contains the meat and sauce. Then set the timer on your Instant Pot and come back when it’s done. I like this method because it works to get two things cooked at the same time. After cooking rice in my Instant Pot it’s the only way I want to cook it! It turns out so well every single time…especially usually fussy brown rice.
One thing that really worked well for me was to spray my Instant Pot with nonstick cooking spray. This ensured that the rice didn’t stick to the bottom of the pot and waste half the batch of rice. I also wanted to let you know that I used a 1 1/2 quart corningware dish to cook my meat in. It worked really well but if you have another oven safe dish that fits inside, you can use that instead.
More recipes with ground beef
- Instant Pot Bacon BBQ Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker 15 Bean Beefy Chili with Cajun Lime Sour Cream
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff from Julie’s Eats and Treats
- Pressure Cooker Vegetable Beef and Rice Soup from Pressure Cooking Today
What Instant Pot Did You Use?
For Instant Pot Cheater Korean Beef and Brown Rice I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1 for this recipe. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.Print
A quick version of a classic recipe made in your electric pressure cooker. The best part is that the beef and rice cook at the same time in the same Instant Pot.
For the rice:
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the beef:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used 91% lean ground beef)
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Spray the bottom of the Instant Pot with non-stick cooking spray. This will help with sticking rice and clean up. Pour the rice, water, and salt in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- In an oven safe dish that fits inside your Instant Pot stir together the brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, red pepper, minced ginger and tomato paste. Add in the ground beef and break the beef up with a spoon. Stir to coat the beef with the sauce.
- Place the oven safe dish on top of the trivet. Carefully lower the trivet and dish on top of the rice/water in the bottom of the Instant pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and make sure the valve is on “sealing.” Set the timer on manual (high pressure) for 22 minutes. When the timer beeps let the pressure release naturally for about 10 minutes and then release any pressure that is left by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Using oven mitts, carefully remove the trivet and dish out of the instant pot. The bottom of the trivet will have some rice kernels on it. Stir the beef and break it up with a spoon. Scoop a portion of rice onto a plate and then top with the beef and a bit of the juices. Top with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Method: Instant Pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love Instant Pot/crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!